We slid through August

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by bloodcrick, Aug 30, 2008.

1. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    One more day and August is GONE :rock: This has been one of the coolest Aug. that i can ever remember. Last year at this time it was misserably hot and dry. I actually hung a stand last week on one of the cool days, and will hang another next week, something i just dont do this time of year anymore. The highs are going to be 80's next week or lower :cool: any one else had the cooler than norm weather this month? kinda gets the blood boiling when the air gets that way knowing the season is right around the corner. come on Oct!!

2. in da woods

in da woods Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yea buddy! I have the exact same sentiments. The corn is starting to turn in some fields. Can't wait, starts in 3 wks. Can u believe this summer's gone by already. Next thing, we'll be talkn' at the gtg.

3. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Its getting close, now if they will just get in there, cut their hay and corn and get out so things can settle, we'll be good to go!

4. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tell me about it blood....pretty soon we will be rumbling through the fields in these things!! :tu:

I love fall and harvest season! :woot:

[​IMG]

5. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sept 1...I can't wait to be on stand...for black bear.

6. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    2 weeks pal and I love this weather.

7. MechDoc

MechDoc Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My WI License and tags should be here Wed:nana:.I already have my Illinois tags ready to go.I cant wait to hunt a few of those properties in Sept that you showed me Tony.I also cant wait to hunt Jasons land in October either.Im stoked.:woot:

8. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    You should do well.

9. Dr Andy

Dr Andy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah the weather is great! I've had to postpone my opener from Oct3 until Oct17. Two extra weeks to wait.

10. Dr Andy

Dr Andy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did hang another stand yesterday!

11. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    I was out near Stockton yesterday Doc and way to many doe's with triplets.

12. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just think how much more you would love it if you had real combines!!! CASE for serious farmers !! :woot: JD ?? :confused: :lmao: :whip:

Tim

13. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Surely this is a joke:confused:

Real men run Deere. Am I right Bols??:d

[​IMG]

Those are some sweet machines you have there. Is that a 9660 and two 9860s? If so you are alucky man. Are they STSs? I can't tell. And who is the lucky one with AutoSteer?

That pic is me on a 9650 Walker.

14. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dang Bols, are those machines all yours? You do some serious farming!!!

15. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Those are the smallest grain heads i have ever seen on combines :d
    Nice Machinery Balls :hail:

16. Bols

Bols Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Tim, you would be happy to know we have some Case machinery still laying around. ;) An STX480 and STX425, along with some 7100 series tractors. A 20, 30, and 40 (only the 40 has MFWD). The majority of our tractors are green (8320, 8310, 8300, 7800, 4555), along with one Cat 85E Challenger machine. Got a few 1206's laying around, along with a 1066, 766, 706, 1086, JD4430. Those have basically become our utility tractors, run augers, mowers, etc. But for the brunt of the work, we are getting heavy handed in the Deere stuff now.

Okie, the two on the left are basically twin 9760's with Bullet Rotors. One was brand new last year and the other only had 200-300 hours on the machine when we got it. Both run 12 row corn heads and 35 ft platforms. We don't run auto-steer in the combine yet, but this year we might have one machine run beans with auto-steer. We are just starting to get into more and more auto-steer stuff. Basically, we still like to plant straight and claim it. ;) The hog on the right is an old 9610 Walker with an 8 row head and 30 ft platform. That 9650 is a pretty sweet machine, what size field were you in? It would be nice to upgrade the 10 series to a 50 series but that 9610 just keeps ticking along. Was that machine part of a wheat run?

John, those are my dad's machines but I own half of one for the stuff I farm on my own...even with the three machines it seems like fall can last forever depending on the weather.

Blood....I hear ya!! We don't get much accomplished each day and we can't seem to figure out why?!? :lol:

17. OKbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Bols,

2 9760s that are basically brand new? You have just reached "High Roller" status in my book, my friend.

I've worked for the same farming operation the past 5 years, and in the summer we turn into a custom cutting crew. I've been with those guys forever, were basically brothers during the summer months. We go all over the state and cut wheat for people. The field in that picture is actually on my grandmother's land. That field is ~100 acres. (I have a set hung about 150 yards from where that machine is:deer:) Every summer we run 4 machines, this past summer it is was 4 9650s. One just got traded in though, on a 9670:d. Im excited to give that baby a spin next year. Our best run last year was a 9 day span when we cut 4700 acres. Can you say Red Bull:d/ Those 17 hour days can wear a guy down pretty fast.

Ahhh the 9610. One of the most solid machines JD made. I drove one for several years. This past year was actually my first year I didn't run it, my boss sold it:cry:. I loved that thing, even though the steering wheel is the size of a hula-hoop:d Those things just keep cutting and don't complain.

We just got into the bean business pretty recently. Last year was kinda like an experiment, but this year they are looking really good. With all this rain, we're wishing we had more.

I know what you mean about loving harvest. It is always my favorite time of year.

"Plant strait and claim it." You know it

18. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    blood, I hung most of my stands in early July in order to beat the August heat wave :bash: . . if only I knew :confused: I'm betting we pay dearly for it in Dec/Jan :d

19. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    4700 acres per 4 machines per 9 days per 17 hrs a day = 7.7 acres/hr. Geez a fair day for us is 10 acres/hr with 30 ft heads and we are running 2388. :d Seriously 4700 acres in 9 days is very good as I doubt our wheat runs as good as your area. Although if you haven't combined Glenn wheat... it is nasty, hard thrashing wheat so we might be even. We are happy with 50 - 60 bu/acres. What are you guys happy with bu wise. What type of beans have you gotten into... soys??

Tim

20. OKbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I guess 17 hours isn't actual cutting time. Counting for breakdowns, lunch, dinner, it's considerably less than that. I was couting from 8am to 1am, that is our usual day during harvest, but we're obvioulsy not cutting that entire time. Honestly it's probably closer to 11-14ish...depending on how the day goes, of pure cutting time.

Around here 50 bushel wheat is excellent.

Yep, we're working our way into the soybean business. Good news for me during the early season since some of my sets are hung in those fields:d