We need the Vito's chicken

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by John Galt, Mar 3, 2013.

1. John Galt

John Galt Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Holy ****, the Internets still on, some of you are still alive and the the sky is not falling. :jaw:

After listening to the president on Friday I didn't think life as we knew it would still exist.
    I did hear of one republican congressman eating a couple of small Mexican children , but thats to be expected. :)
    Any real issues with the rest of you?

Germ you can come out now, its really going to be OK!

2. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah actually there is... The areas the Feds are trying to cut back in... And the workers pay being cut before the handout programs are even looked at.... Well the whole scenario has me seriously second guessing my proposed career path.

Native American Reservations and government workers making good money seem to be the first areas of cut, so being Dr. Embry working for the Indian Health Services doesn't bode well for me. I have serious doubts that if I put in my 20 years there would be a retirement there for me.... Ill be following all these changes closely for the next 2 years.

3. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would have posted sooner but it's been a bloodbath here and I am only typing this as I wait for my gun barrels to cool down. Obama's prediction of an e. coli outbreak was spot on. E. coli has been trying to breach the perimeter of the compound all day. On the upside, even low power .22 rimfire ammo takes it out. Of course, we all know how difficult it is to find any rimfire ammo lately. I think the shortage must be part of the government plan.

Uh oh, I think I see some salmonella and unemployed government workers coming over the hill. Gotta go!! Thank goodness for high capacity magazines!

4. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Same with Teachers. I plan to have little to no pension in 25yrs even though my contributions will go up. Good thing I have backup.

5. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Lol, I was all for the cuts to happen two months ago.

6. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    As a person employed by the dod in an area that is full of military bases(Hampton Roads, VA) there will definitely be a huge local impact. Civilian workers, contractors, local businesses will certainly feel the pain. Fortunately we have a little time until the furlough actually starts(late April-ish). The average civilian worker will lose 10% of their salary for the year but the worst part is they cram the cuts into 5 months. A person with an income of $40,000 will lose approximately $600 a month from their take home pay for 22 weeks and if your spouse is government as well it's x2. All construction contracts are frozen and several ship maintenance projects are being delayed or cancelled. It will be a big deal for areas like ours unless something changes. What's worse whenever they do get projects going again they will probably work ridiculous overtime to get back on schedule(don't worry about all that $$ citizen).

While I don't believe the sky is falling I do believe it's gonna get interesting.

7. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Obama had already cut military by a substantial amount more than the sequester did but he will be quick to blame everyone else.

sent from my samsung note 2

8. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It is everyone's fault in dc, all of them

9. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Damn you are getting some of my money, that hurts:)

10. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can someone tell me why Obama had to cut people's salaries instead of foreign aid?

11. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    He didn't HAVE to... but our government is all for creating dependents over rewarding those willing to work for something. The mindset has swept our country from coast to coast and the last election has proven, it's what the people want by majority.

12. 130Woodman

Dislikes Received:
    Here's the second thing why aren't the republicans calling his *** out? If the roles were reversed you know the Dem's would be all over it

13. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They are, it is just that the national media is in obamas pocket and their voices(republicans) don't get heard like they would if it was a Republican president.

sent from my samsung note 2

14. NEW61375

NEW61375 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If it helps we can just say that your part was in the 10% they are cutting.

We have been getting cut since 2009, these are just the latest. My wife and I are both DOD and we are mainly worried because the cuts are hitting home more and more each time.

They are supposed to cut 100 billion every year for the next 10 and while many may not feel the effects of these cuts there are lots of families that do. It can be very stressful and has us wondering if we need to start thinking about an exit strategy to the private sector for at least one of us because we don't want to be worrying about our income every year for the next 10 years and esentially we have all our eggs in one basket. At the same time we have nearly 30 years combined and that's a lot to walk away from.

I don't have a problem with cuts to the defense budget but the problem is the cuts rarely come from areas that need it and usually come from the easiest thing to target and control, the workforce. Google wasteful govt spending, improper payments by the fed. govt. or anything along those lines and you will have reading material for days and see plenty of ways to reach 85 or 100 billlion. I am a firm believer the govt. needs exactly 0 more dollars in income it just needs more accountibility for the spending of the billions it takes in.

15. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Darn NEW I am sorry to hear about that man. I wish you and your wife the best.

16. 130Woodman

Dislikes Received:
    There is no reason why any spending cuts have to come from the U.S. jobs. NONE. this all political grandstanding by the chief Idiot. I heard a sound bite today that stated the US citizens want a bigger government with more gov. help then a capitalist society. So again if the head Idiot cut the 84 billion from foreign aid where btw 1/2 our tax money goes there would be no loss of jobs in the US.

17. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wait a minute, where are the cuts going to come?

Government is too big then it needs to shrink, that means less people. Even cutting foreign aid means less jobs. We cannot have both ways. People have been screaming for less government and budget cuts, well here it comes.

18. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    New I feel for you and your wife, my wife is a teacher and we have dealt with budget issues the last 6 years. Welcome to the party, and it really sucks.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My brother is a civilian working for the DOD. He will be furloughed and basically loose 20% of his income from that job, top that w. the other changes like the SS tax he is going to be loosing about 23%. Many civilians that are contractors won't be so lucky, their going to lose 100% of their income.

Government spending is an out of control frieght train, raising taxes will NOT fix our problem, it will just give the government a larger pie to spend, which they will. It's funny how Obama felt so strongly that the healthcare system needed to be reformed because the costs were out of control, yet he doesn't seem to feel that same way about our government, which is clearly out of control.

20. 130Woodman

Dislikes Received:
    My point is that we can keep the jobs and take care of our country and cut the foreign aid. Obama's administration is just trying to rally the public by only cutting the budget that effects U.S. Jobs. They know the majority of people only hear that Republicans are to blame for job loss.

I do feel bad for the people who are going to loose their jobs but there is other ways to cut the budget then what the administration is pushing.