We need more out door talk..

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by oldnotdead, Mar 9, 2022.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Life is getting tougher and tougher...we need our distractions. I need distractions because I see certain faces on the screen and I'm going to some VERY VERY DARK places, even for my vindictive mind. So
    I enjoyed my hike and saw so many different herd of deer just on our hill. Well over 30 in 5 groups. I'm definitely right about neighbors sanctuary. They had the biggest group in their hollow eating the mowed clover a in there. Told them years ago mow and clover will grow...My big mouth...Lol
    I also came across where the turkey are scratching and "hunting" on our place. Yes all my work has seemingly done more to increase my turkey population than my deer. Won't complain because I love turkey hunting as much as deer. To that,thinking other neighbors logging will further increase my turkey population. They hit all the good mature roost trees.
    How are all your herds and flocks looking as this winter starts to wain?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2022
    Shocker99 and Hlzr like this.
  2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Electronic detox... Lock the devices up, turn off the TV, focus on life...family, garden, personal health/exercise, faith, others...helping others let's me combine a few and has the best results for me.

Well, the above is is what works for me, especially if I'm headed to dark places...

Spring Turkey season and then prep for fall elk/deer hunts will be my happy places for the next 6 months...

Hlzr, oldnotdead and Shocker99 like this.
  3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We had a beautiful doe and her fawn living in our neighborhood last year. I called the momma pretty girl. She just looked gorgeous and healthy and was such a good mama. Then she disappeared as all mommas do in the fall for a little bit. But she never returned. I was kind of bummed but hoped she was harvested and going to table fare instead of just getting hit by a car or something. Then i saw her and her fawn and about 8 other deer in the field right by the house. Good to see some healthy herds. This was her last fall.
    5F912E7A-35B0-4150-B695-B30DE8FA55FF.jpeg

oldnotdead likes this.
  4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good rabbit population out this morning... Gonna be problematic soon, if we avoid that rabbit hemorrhagic disease, the yotes will boom...

oldnotdead likes this.
  5. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a lot to do outside and I'm chomping at the bit to get out there. According to the weather forecast it is going to be in the 40's and 50's starting this coming Sunday. Today through Saturday it's going to be highs in the low 20's and lows in the single digits. Right now it is -3 ...... come on already. I need this snow to melt and the frost to come out of the ground.

My deer, turkey, squirrel, grouse and rabbit populations are doing great.

So are the predators. :(

Shocker99, ash d and oldnotdead like this.
  6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Man since I've been making my brush pile fences my rabbits have exploded. Which I actually wanted. In fact Tuesday A. J. Missed one by about 6 ". That particular rabbit has a cats life but not many left..Lol

ash d and wl704 like this.
  7. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My property where I turkey hunt still has too much snow to be able to get to it. I'm itching to get up there, look for sheds, and always look forward to turkey and Spring bear season. Can't wait.
    The turkey and deer move down lower during the winter and will start showing back up on my place a couple weeks after the snow is mostly gone. Last year the snow hung on for so long that I didn't have any turkeys move back in until the season was dang near over. Hopefully this year will be normal and they'll be back on my place by the April 15th opener. I love calling turkeys, so much fun.

oldnotdead likes this.
  8. ILbowhntr

ILbowhntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We’ve had a lot of rain and weekly flooding. I’m a little concerned about the turkey population around the house. We should be good over at the farm, creeks seem to drain quicker so less flooding.
    Getting out a couple days after the water goes down, we’re seeing 50-60 deer in herds of 5-10. Did see a couple last week still carrying a single antler.
    Glad to see this thread. Getting tired of all the Covid and political complaining on some forums.

oldnotdead likes this.
  9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    4 weeks till turkey season

JeffC and oldnotdead like this.
  10. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    A.J. and I took our first hike on the sanctuary property we have. It's a steep half mile with several streams cascading falls ,swamp. Looked for racks but A.J just found one leg bone. There are a few "cattle" trails. And I checked spots to put up some platforms I can use with the saddle. I'll be making and pre setting a few this summer. That way All I need to do is climb to them. A.J. had a blast.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
    Mod-it likes this.
  11. ILbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    39E2CCE8-1BBB-41AA-ACBF-62916DCC4308.jpeg And it snowed again this morning! Getting up to 1”.

12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Yep we are due for several inches as well though....things turn around next week. Though are robin's have returned already and the geese have been steadily flying back.

13. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I tried to go up to my property last week, after walking in knee deep snow with snowshoes on for about 50 yds, I said no way in hell….. I need to get a lot of things done this spring since we got snow so early this past fall.

oldnotdead likes this.
  14. mnhunter77

mnhunter77 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    oldnotdead likes this.
  15. ILbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    OK guys, y’all have more snow than we do. But I was at 3D shoot Sunday and it was 72, then 5 days later, snow.
    Supposed to be back in the 60s next week and I’m headed to Arizona.
    Turkey season can’t come soon enough. Talked to my buddy in Canada yesterday and he’s waiting on the snow to melt so baiting can start. Headed up to hunt with him in June. Trying to enjoy every day, but wishing for spring.

oldnotdead likes this.
  16. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    We are in the process of getting several more inches with high winds right now. But most of ours had melted last week.. there is a warm up next week here as well.

17. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Turkey are moving all over the hill right now. They are scratching everywhere May 1 is so far away! What I'm not looking forward to are the knats, blk. Flies and the bad cycle of gypsy moth we are in still.
    So here is what I'm hoping for, a big enough warm up to hatch these moth eggs before Apiril 1. Then torrential rains right up until the last week of April. Then beautiful weather through all of May beginning of June. With a light shower once a week. It's about the only chance we have to knock these caterpillars down.

18. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    Starting to feel like Spring here. Went to a 3d shoot Saturday, pickup said it was 58° when we finished shooting at 11 a.m. Shot half the shoot in a jacket, the other half in a t-shirt. Beautiful day for a shoot.
    Was a fun 40 target shoot. Lots of longer shots, bet the average shot distance was 35 yards. The longest was a buffalo at 76 yards. I had to guess my gap since I had only sighted in to 60 since setting my bow up from hunting arrows to lighter 3d arrows. Hit under the 10 ring but was happy to hear the arrow smack foam. :bow:
    Noticed I'm getting some fletching contact, been fighting with that since I got this new Solution with a Hamskea rest on it. Had contact with the right side fletching, either the riser or cables, so I completely reset up the centershot on it when going to my 3d arrows. Now I'm getting left fletching contact, it is hitting the left side of the containment cage for the Trinity. Seems to be a pretty tight window to get a clean arrow out of this setup with rapt-x vanes.
    Anyway, will have to get out to tune again in the next couple days. Sick of the fletching contact so I removed the containment cage yesterday. The rest doesn't lock into the up position, so the containment cage is kind of a moot point anyway. When hunting it'll flop around and make noise without a finger holding the arrow, so to heck with the containment cage. Really missing my QAD, I don't find this limb driven rest to be worth all the hoopla.

oldnotdead, GregH and ILbowhntr like this.
  19. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I’m pretty excited to start on some of my spring projects this week. I got some strut zones i need to clean up, a watering hole I’m going to make bigger, some trails that need cleaned up, etc.

I’ve been making a few short videos here and there, it’s the off season so there’s not much content to work with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Mod-it

Dislikes Received:
    Made it up to the property last Sunday, enough snow has finally melted that the road is passable.
    The ground is clear of snow out in the open where the sun can hit most of the day, very soggy, but the shady spots still hold a couple feet of snow. It will be a while before I can walk the place and look for sheds. Hoping the weather stays warm and we get some more rain, want all the snow gone by April 15th opener of turkey and bear.
    I did notice that I have quite a bit of fence down this year. Will have to take a walk around the whole property and assess how much repair work needs done. This winter wasn't much different for snow fall than any other year, but it sure looks to have taken a toll on my fence. Spring is my favorite season, even if I have a bunch of fence repair to do.

My Spring weekend routine is going to be pretty set for a while. Get up there early, make a morning hunt for turkey, repair fence most of the day, and then hopefully a couple weeks after the bear opener I have reason to climb into the stand and perhaps put an arrow through one. Or maybe a big chunk of .54 cal lead from the BP rifle.

Going to try some Bullheads for turkey this year. Last Friday I bought some .300 spine arrows (they didn't have any .250), for them. They have a 3 fletch with Blazer vanes, hoping that will be enough, otherwise I'll have to have them fletched to a 4 fletch. Looking forward to trying them, but a bit concerned how well they'll fly with three 3" blades on the front of the arrow. I really like the thought of using a decapitator style head for turkey, either it's dead or it's a clean miss.

wl704 and oldnotdead like this.