Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Watch recommendations

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by Alone, Jan 26, 2023.

1. Alone

Alone Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all,

Every year I think about getting a wrist watch for hunting. I use my cell phone but hunting late season will drain my battery and I don't like how much light it throws off. I haven't worn a watch in years. I would like it to see the time when it gets dark and not disturb the woods when my sit starts or is coming to an end. I'm not looking to break the bank but don't want something cheap that won't last. Any recommendations? Or other functions that I should consider?

Thanks, Dan

2. Gersty

Gersty Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I wear a samsung galaxy 4 smart watch, it has the hard fall detection and it is synced to my phone, can read and respond to texts with littler movement than pulling your phone out of your pockets, I wear it daily and have had one for the last 3 years or so, They work amazingly well!

3. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a suunto traverse. It lacks some of the modern bells and whistles(no crash/fall), but here's what I like. Basic time, stopwatch, timer and alarm functions.
    Compass and geolation that uses both GPS and glasnos.
    Altimeter
    Sunrise/sunset times based on your location.
    Barometer/storm warning(based on change of barometric pressure).
    It also has some navigation capabilty, I've used it as last resort. And can mark waypoints.
    It holds a change for 1.5-2 weeks.
    Is built, rock solid and water resistant (deeper than I'd ever dive, but not as waterproof as their dive watches).
    Bluetooth connect for texts and some tracking

What I don't like:
    Though it syncs some metrics to the phone, it doesn't seem to integrate as well as some apps.
    Silicon strap bands don't last for me
    Their strap pins

Used their prices are reasonable.

4. ILbowhntr

ILbowhntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Garmin Instinct Solar, pair it to your iPhone and you’re good to go.

5. Robbustan

Robbustan Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Firstly, opt for a watch with a reliable backlight function for easy time-checking in the dark while ensuring minimal disruption to your surroundings. Brands like Casio and Timex offer budget-friendly options that are known for their durability, making them suitable for outdoor activities. If you ever decide to explore the world of watches further, including luxury timepieces, you might want to check out newbondstreetpawnbrokers.com. They provide valuable insights into fine watches and even offer services like loans against them. It's an exciting way to delve deeper into the fascinating world of horology.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  6. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I run the garmin fenix 6 solar. On my watch face I have the sunrise and sunset times and the moon %. Also steps, heartrate, time, date, and battery percent. On 1 charge it will last almost 3 weeks. Also tracks movemets on runs and hikes and has maps built in.

7. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the garmin instinct 2. Runs about a month on normal operating.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

8. solete

solete Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have one nice watch that I wear occasionally. I would like an everyday watch that is high-end, but practical (read: I don't want to baby it). Recommendations?

9. Jeremy/PA

Jeremy/PA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For just time keeping, can't go wrong with a Timex Expedition watch. If you have an iPhone, you can't beat the iWatch. I mean there are other watches that do more of course, but you get a lot of good features and seamless compatibility.