Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Watch out for those little bastartds......

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by 130Woodman, Mar 14, 2010.

1. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ticks that is. Went out sheddin today with the daughter and the dog. Came home and had to pick off 10 ticks. It was only 50 degrees and windy I never even thought the ticks would be a problem yet. Go figure and be safe.

2. Ghille1cav

Ghille1cav Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have had ticks on my lab and I in Feburary already! All it takes is a little warm stretch. Today I stopped counting the ticks we picked up.

3. iHunt

iHunt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You really gotta watch for them things! Last summer I got sick from a tick bite, I felt awful for almost 2 weeks. The doctors never did get clear results back on what exactly it was, but they said it was almost positively from the ticks. Had to have been one of the tiny tiny ticks, smaller than the average seed tick. They are nothin but bad news

4. dawg007

dawg007 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think one good thing I have going is for some reason they dont like me. I have had some on me but they never bite me. They got my daughter last year twice.

5. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Still early here for them. Usually it has to get above 60 for them to come out.

Tim

6. Ghille1cav

Dislikes Received:
    Actually the 60 degree temp thing is not true. Any warm stretch from 45-50 will more then do it. Trust me...We have not had a day close to 60 prior to the dog and I being covered in them on Sunday. No matter what we all agree they are a pain for sure!

7. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When you're a badass like me, ticks just know to stay away.

8. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We don't have the number of ticks likes you do nor do you have the frozen ground like we do. It takes some heat to get them out here. Trust me... it takes 60 or better for them to come out here. We see that every spring. It usually isn't until the end of April or the beginning of May that we even worry about ticks. Our ground needs to warm up before ticks are a problem for us. At 45 - 50 for a high with lows around 30 - 35... the ground doesn't thraw real fast here. It stays cool on top and froze a few inches down. Cool temps means no ticks. There is a reason why our water lines have to be a depth of 8 feet or more up here. 45 - 50 is cool. We have had it reach 65 - 70 and the ticks are out. The next day it is cool ( 50 ) and you couldn't buy one let alone finding one crawling on you. We need heat with the ground temps.

I do believe you for your area though. :) I only talk about " my area " when I post... never in general as things can be affected differently under different conditions in other areas. Many things fall under... there is no sure thing. This is one of them. Hope this doesn't comes across as smart assed as it isn't. Just saying. If I am wrong... I'll let you know. I wouldn't hold your breathe though if I were you . ;) Ok that last bit might have been a little smart assed but I am in a good mood !! :)

Good luck tromping !!

Tim

9. huntwi88

huntwi88 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Its true i had a deer tick already this last weekend. It was 65 that one day here in cental WI.

10. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Would you believe I had one stuck on my bellie this year on a very cold 38 degree Feb morning after a Shed hunt :eek: I think it was Bionic :eek:

11. ISiman/OH

ISiman/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One thing about northern ohio is we don't get much ticks up here, but you head south and they are everywhere.

12. Ghille1cav

Dislikes Received:
    No offense taken. I can tell a real ass from a smart ass. LOL Smart asses are ok by me. Sent you a P.M. by the way.

13. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I hate ticks and I'll be dealing with them until October!

14. shed

shed Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    hahaha

15. MN/Kyle

MN/Kyle Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm more worried about the poison ivy/sumack/any other pointless stupid weed like that usually sends me to the hospital :(