Washington first year bowhunters starting with turkey what do I need

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Edwinmartin1989, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Edwinmartin1989

Edwinmartin1989 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As title says I'm new to bow and actually new to hunting in general although I did small game as a kid. I'm in Washington state I have gotten a glass pot call a hooter and a crow call also have a reed call but gag reflex won't allow me to use it. I'm shooting a 11 Martin exile planning on using grim reaper broadheads 1 3/8" cut. That's as far as I've gotten what am I missing?

2. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Practice. Hope that you have been to a good pro shop to get set up correctly to try and avoid having to change some bad habits from being set up incorrectly. As to brand names, to me it comes down to what fits you best and feels the best to keep you shooting a lot and what is within your budget. ENJOY!!!!!!

3. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ground blind or hasty brush blind to give you cover as you draw.

4. Edwinmartin1989

Edwinmartin1989 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I am practicing a put in a few hundred shots in a week out at 20 yards I spread maybe 3 inches with 5 arrows and I can do that with a 30 second draw hold during all 5 shots as well. I had some fraying so I'm waiting on a new string before I shoot anymore and a new rest but I will shoot a lot more before the season opens. Thanks for taking the time to give me some advice

5. Edwinmartin1989

Edwinmartin1989 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I think I found a second hand blind I'm gonna try and pick up tomorrow for cheap also just ordered a couple decoys been watching bowhunt or die a lot haha decided to pick up a couple after watching them unused so much. Thanks for the tip

6. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Ya you need a blind of some sort for sure. Get it set up early too. Turkey might seem dumb to some people but their eyesight and awareness of changes in their environment are much more keen than most people think. I've been picked off at 30 yards just by moving a shotgun barrel just 3 inches and I'm not exaggerating that at all, so do everything you possibly can to hide your draw using a bow. I'd also check out the video below on YouTube. When a tom is strutting, the puffed up feathers can give a very false sense of where the vitals are. A decoy will also help to keep their attention away from you. Good luck man! I love turkey hunting almost more than deer hunting. It's a ton of fun!!!!

Turkey Anatomy and Proper Arrow Placement - YouTube