Washer and Dryer

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Rick James, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So the new place has some pretty outdated appliances. Thought everything was covered by the home warranty we got, but turns out appliances aren't..........

The dryer crapped out on us this week. So I figure I'll buy a decent front loader washer and dryer set to replace and update things a bit.

Holy crap are these things expensive. It's been a while since I bought a washer dryer setup. Each house we bought or rented had one already so it's been prob 12 years. I'm looking in Consumer Reports and everything they are recommending is like $1k-1.5k just for the damn washer?

My wife and kiddo just got home from a 6 week trip visiting family out of state, and now this thing isn't working. Wifey has a mountain of laundry and wants one like yesterday so I've got limited time to figure out where to get them from for a decent deal.

So where's the best place to find a good deal on a quality front load washer/dryer setup?

2. Spear

Spear Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Last year my wife and I got a new Frigidaire stainless steel fridge, Frigidaire stainless steel glass top stove, and a Frigidaire stainless steel dishwasher combo for $3k at HH Gregg. I didn't even know HH Gregg still existed but they were much cheaper than anyone else. They will even mark it down to work on the price if you haggle. Of course this was just our experience.

3. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most places are going to be pretty close in price. Hitting a sale always helps. Also look for scratch and dents. Usually nothing wrong with them but some dings on the exterior tin, often in areas you will never see once installed.

I look for more basic models with fewer functions. The most important thing to me was the spin speed of the washer. When the clothes are 3/4 dry before hitting the dryer you can deal with having less of a dryer.

4. Hillbilly Jedi

Hillbilly Jedi Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Most places will be close in price. We bought our last washer dryer at Home Depot. Although I wouldn't recommend the LG top load washer. The tub ring at the top has been a pain in the *** and leaks occasionally. LG dryer has been fine.

The link below isn't the exact model we got but is very similar...
    LG Electronics 5.0 cu. ft. High-Efficiency Top Load Washer in White, ENERGY STAR-WT5480CW - The Home Depot

Just quickly looking at Home Depot's website, they have a fair amount of washers in the $500 - $600 price range which would probably get you a set in the $1000 - $1200 price range.

5. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We have had two front load washers. First one was a Kenmore (I think?) the latest is an LG. I hate front load washers, never again.

6. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    What didn't you like about them buckeye?

7. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We had 2 front load washers crap out on us after about 2 years each. I bought our new top loader at hhgreg they had the best prices at the time.

8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, they're pricey. We have the Maytag Duet washer and dryer with the storage trays underneath. We bought them during a sale at Lowe's. paid around $1500 for the set. They've been flawless for over three years. With my wife being 5'2", the front load works great for us.

Just make sure to leave the door open after loads and pull the detergent tray out and let it dry.

Sent from my Turbo 2.

9. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Washing blankets, comforters, sleeping bags etc it is difficult to load the washer so it is balanced for the spin cycle. The large items hold a lot of water and once it is time for the spin cycle the balance is jacked because the heavy stuff settles to the bottom.

Little kids love to shut the door on it every time they walk past. You are then stuck running bleach water cycles to get the funk smell out of them.

10. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do NOT buy a Samsung front loading washer. I had one that we turned on before bed and the door popped open and the machine kept pumping water out and flooded the kitchen. I will NEVER own another front end loader. We bought a top loader Maytag from hhgregg after that, they will price match anything online.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  11. Rick James

Dislikes Received:
    Too late......

Ended up buying a set today. Man these things are expensive. Bought the 5 year warranty on them too for peace of mind.

12. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    There goes the drone funds :)

All kidding aside, if you can keep your little guy from shutting the door like Scott mentioned, you shouldn't have any seal issues. You need to let it dry when it sits.

Sent from my Turbo 2.

13. bradn4201

bradn4201 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    my condolences...just kidding. I just hope you don't have issues like I did.

14. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a tenant that warehouses/delivers/installs most all appliances for Sears in our area. The guy that used to run the company explained to me that there are basically 2 separate products, only 2. There are basically two different products that are being rebranded as 10-15 different brands, a couple of them literally just switched logos while some changed the external looks while remaining the same internally. The only one that was separate from those two I believe was whirlpool. The best bang for your money he said was Kenmore, and the cheapest to get replacement parts for, the basic Kenmore is usually sufficient, and Kenmore Elite will give you more/extra functions that you likely never will use (wifi capability, steam drying, 5 sound levels for the chime when it's finished to name a few). He was able to track down some scratch/dent items for me, ended up with a Kenmore front load, and Kenmore elite dryer. Both have been great, going on 4 years. Although we've decided to go top load next time, front loaders smell, I don't care what you do to them.

15. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That funk smell is usually from just using liquid detergent, if you alternate between powder and liquid it doesn't get that smell. We run through a bottle of the liquid or two then switch to powder and don't have the problem...

16. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My fiancé has been on kick using those new packet/pouch things, I think they're half powder half liquid. I might try to convince her to try powder after your testimony!

17. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is what I have learned with the modern washer and dryer combos. If you have a good frontload washing machine, almost any cheap dryer will do. The modern frontload washers spin the clothes out so well they are nearly dry when they come out. Believe me, this is what I've been doing for the last year. $1,000 dryers are just not necessary. That is unless your wife demands a perfectly matched set, then all bets are off!

Blessings..........Pastorjim

18. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    True.

Front loaders are fantastic the way they clean and spin everything dry.

I hire they make a single units that do both. Clean and dry in one unit.
    Seems like a no brainier and would be simple for companies to make.

Kilboars Hunt Club

19. tacklebox

tacklebox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had to buy a new set last week. HUUURRRT bad lol. Lucky my wife hates the front loaders. I picked up a real nice Whirlpool set for about 1500

20. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Had the washer crap out last night at the place we are renting. It sounds like we will have to foot the bill for repair because it's not covered under the lease. But we are going back to double check before dropping money. Hopefully we don't have to get a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk