Wanting to get into hunting with a recurve bow

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by Brian Sanchez-Fishback, Oct 19, 2021.

1. Brian Sanchez-Fishback

Brian Sanchez-Fishback Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey!
    I am a relatively new hunter and wanting to get into bowhunting to take advantage of future bowhunting seasons down the road and would appreciate some advice on how I can get started. I would like to start learning on a traditional bow just for purely personal preference reasons but I have no archery experience whatsoever. In the future I would mostly be hunting western small and big game.

2. jgaudiojr

jgaudiojr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    YouTube is your friend. You will, initially, gain much more from YouTube than anywhere else, IMO. There is nothing wrong with used gear. Go slow. Decide if you actually like before you burn your wallet up with large purchases. Hunting is a great hobby and lifestyle. Start with some YouTube videos. Find out what you need. Talk to buddies and see if they have some gear you can borrow for a season. That should start you down the right path.

JeffKo likes this.
  3. Brian Sanchez-Fishback

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah youtube has been a HUGE help when I was looking for small game stuff just using firearms.

4. Sean Card

Sean Card Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Take a look at your state traditional bowhunting organization, Compton’s, and Professional Bowhunter Society.

As useful as YouTube and forums can be: I feel like getting a mentor can accelerate the learning curve in half. What has taken me ten years I could probably get someone going in 3-5 years easily with consistent meeting up.

And in my opinion: talk to people who were hot and cold as far as shooting skills and are driving tacks now. You learn more from struggling, at least shooting instinctly. So many are going to gap and string walking now it seens.

5. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Traditional archery is whole other animal. There are some forums to get on such tradgang but they can be elitist at times. But there are a few that will help you. I would buy a samick sage recurve about 45-50 lbs. find out your draw length and have a good bow shop get you flinging the right arrows.

JeffKo likes this.
  6. Brian Sanchez-Fishback

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the response, and thank you for the bow recommendation ! From what research I have done so far I had looked at that one it seems pretty affordable. Can you buy fletched arrows for a trad bow or do you have to make your own because of the feathers ?

7. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had all mine fletched at a shop but yes you can. Lancaster Archery or Big Jim's. The most important key to shotting a trad bow is anchor point and the right spined arrows. If you can't get those right, you will never be proficient

8. JeffKo

JeffKo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Save your money....and educate yourself as much as you can about the sport and equipment before; swiping, inserting or peeling off Hundies and joining the $1000 bow club :eek2:. That said, there are many many used bows for sale...this is why is is important to smart yourself up on the equipment and gear
    Pre-fletched arrows. Most arrows sold in shops or Big Bass store are fletched. Nothing wrong with that. Great way to practice until you're completely sucked into the sport :woot: Arrows can get confusing. If there is one aspect of archery that I get a lot of personal satisfaction in. Fletching my own arrows...it is EASY and you can make them look Kool ... If you go this path...check our the Bitzenberger Fletching jig.