Want to start bowfishing, help me out boys

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by Siman/OH, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ok, ive read about it for years now. I hear its a blast. I wanna do it.

I know very little about the sport. So can some of you guys fill me in?

I wanna know about location, bows, arrows...the whole 9 yards.

2. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Basic stuff: http://www.huntingnet.com/articles/article_detail.aspx?articles_id=504

If you're looking to shoot common carp, look in shallow coves and flats with a muddy bottom. (unfortunately, if it does have mud the carp will likely stirred it all up)
    Buffalo tend to either be up in coves or on points. They seem to hang out on more sandy/rocky/weedy flats but they're weird and can be anywhere and it depends on the time of the year too.
    Bigheads and silvers will be in rivers. Look for bigheads feeding at the surface around dams.
    Silvers can be found by running up and down the river. When they start smacking you in the head, you've found 'em.

In lakes you'll find most gar in the shallower areas cruising near the top of the water particularly when it gets really warm. Longnose gar tend to hang out at the surface in deeper water.

Bows: Bowfishing is about the bow handling equivalent of a demo derby to car care. A high tech hunting bow is not the best thing for bowfishing. A good bowfishing bow is light in the hand, smooth drawing and can be shot without finger pinch. A 40-55 lb recurve is great. A wheel bow with soft cams or round wheels and at least 35" ata. Oneida bows are highly favored among folks who do a lot of bowfishing.

Ditch the release, the sights. A bowfishing rest will be needed because bowfishing arrows are at least 1500 grains.

Bowfishing arrows are solid fiberglass, solid carbon or a mix of fiberglass and carbon. There are a lot of different points to choose from. I use cajun, muzzy, innerloc and shurshot points. Different points have different strengths and weaknesses. We keep many different kinds on the boat.

I use an AMS retriever reel. I believe it's the best reel for beginners hands down. I still use one because I have yet to see a spincast that can handle the abuse my AMS can.

If you're bowfishing in the day time you absolutely need polarized sunglasses.

Of course, know the laws where you are bowfishing. Differents states have different legal species, seasons.

Boat fishing boats, lights, generators, trollers, fans are a whole 'nuther topic.

3. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Buy plenty of arrows, they go quick:d

4. carpsniper

carpsniper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OKbowhunter, you should start tying a line on yer arrows. They won't go near as quick... :busted:

Sim, I'd suggest a recurve, AMS reel and arrows with safety slides for the equipment side. Shoot with fingers, no sights. Shots will be close and quick, you won't need 'em.

As Christine said, Polarized glasses are a must during daylight and check all the local regs for bowfishing. Here in IL the rules vary greatly form place to place.

Two Very important things that haven't been mentioned,

1.) make sure you know how to identify the legal species before you take the shot.

2.) Have a place to dispose of the fish before you go fishing.

Good Luck

5. deer_predator

deer_predator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Or in Kendall's situation, just stop by your local optomatrist and pick up a pair of glacoma glasses!! :cool:

6. carpsniper

carpsniper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Actually the ones you're talking about were from Wally world. They're called "fit-overs" as in fit over your glasses, if you're like me and need glasses. They (fit-overs) work very well and are fairly inexpensive, but they add another lens which can/does add more distortion.
    I went to my not-so-local optometrist and had a pair of polarized glasses made. Not cheapp but much better quality. Thanks Rob. :cool:

7. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Make the drive to KY this summer, and I will put you on some killer Bighead action! :cool:

PM me if you got any questions, I learned all the ropes over the last two years...now have the equip, boat, and everything down pat...just need to learn to find the fish better. :busted:

8. deer_predator

deer_predator Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man, you put it that way I feel bad about trying to have a little fun....Sorry buddy! :cry: :cry: :cry:

9. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I may have to make a trip down their sometime, I have a small john boat with an electric motor, but thats not what you guys use im sure, I need to get a bow and everything first, then work on location.

Thanks for all the tips guys!

10. OKbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Are you thinking recurve or compound Caleb?

11. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Havnt decided yet. Can you set up reels on a recurve? I was looking at your pics on HNI and i kinda like the recurve look.

12. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Look here for some articles from some Illinois Bowfishers. http://www.bowhunting.com/publish/3/bowfishing-information.aspx

Basic info here: http://www.huntingnet.com/articles/article_detail.aspx?articles_id=504

:cool:

13. OKbowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I think the recurve is the way to go. For me it is easier to shoot instinctivly, and you can make snap shots. You can't do that with a compound.

And yea, you can put a reel on a recurve.

14. Christine

Dislikes Received:
    Recurves are nice and light. Easy to snap shoot.

For all day shooting tho' I'll take my Oneida. It will snap shoot like a recurve. Is smooth as it gets and it really spits out an arrow.

Some of my bowfishing choices. :)
    [​IMG]
    look at the difference in size between my old Oneida and the new Oneida Osprey.

15. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Im really liking the recurve bows. Would you still shoot an extra heavy arrow out of them or can you use aluminiums/carbons?

16. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought a PSE Kingfisher from Sportsman's warehouse for like $110 last summer. It's your basic starter kit. The reel is a nothing to brag about but like I say, its a starter kit. I upgraded to the AMS retriever reel but had problems and ended up with the big Zebco closed face fishing reel (recommended for bowfishing). You can see my setup in the pic below. Very simple and effective setup. The 2nd pic is my favorite.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    I like the look of that bow Finch, what about the arrows? I see your using the special bowfishing arrows.

18. Finch

Finch Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep...I sure am. They're the only way to go IMO. They're tough as heck (made from fiberglass). You can probably pick up a completely outfitted arrow (point and slider) for about $12-13. Sometimes cheaper...depends on your prefrences.

I used a john boat w/ motor this past year and it sucked. The places I needed to be to get some action were too shallow. Usually, a buddy and me would take his canoe and alternate who would paddle. Worked out great!

19. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    My other qustions are all based on location. Not many places in my direct area are known for bowfishing or Carp. The 2 biggest lakes by me are Findley and Spencer lakes, and i know for a fact that the only carp at spencer are overgrown grass carp in the 40-60 inch range. I do have private access to a local river (the black river) but most of it is way to shallow and jogjammed for a boat.

20. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Christine, i read some of the links you posted up and alot of the stuff over at HNI. Me and my brother are both going to invest in bows this spring and really work at this. Ill keep in touch and im sure i will have plenty of questions for you. Thanks again guys.