Waiting on new bow. Anybody else?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Ridgerunner3, Jan 6, 2023.

1. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I ordered an RX-7 about 7 weeks ago. The wait is killing me. Shop told me the other day that Hoyt had emailed them saying that lead times were 8 weeks, but I guess I was hoping for less than that. It's not an all new for '23 bow and it's not a specialty camo, it's all black, so I had hope I might get it sooner. Anyway, just a "poor me" post I guess.

Anybody else feel like their Christmas present is lost in the mail? Who else grabbed a new bow for 23?

Robbie66 and MUDSHARK like this.
  2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great bow! I recently got a Rx7 ultra, I bought it in shop tho. I’m not so patient haha.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  3. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    They had one i could've bought on the spot...just not black. I was picky this time. What made you go with the ultra?

Suncrest08 likes this.
  4. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    When you spend that much coin you need to get what you want. I’m 6’2 and prefer the longer ata. Really like this bow, sold my ventum pro 33 to free up space and no regrets. Looking to break it in b4 season ends

MUDSHARK and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  5. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really want a new bow, but can't justify it right now. I bought a new Mathews Halon 6 back 2016 and still shooting it. It never felt great for fit or the way it shoots, not sure it was ever the right bow for me. But I was under the gun to get a bow fast since my previous bow blew up right before the season started.

This year I went to a pro shop for the first time since 2016, just to look at bows. I didn't plan to shoot them, just looking. I picked up 5 or 6 of the major brands flagship bows. At some point I will go and shoot them all. Over all I the 3 bows that just felt good holding for me was Hoyt, Prime, and surprisingly PSE. But that could all change once I shoot them. I know once I shoot them it will be hard for me to not buy, so that's why I didn't shoot at the time. Haha

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

6. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    I wasn't planning on buying just yet either and made the mistake of shooting that Rx7. Lol.

I haven't shot Prime, but shot the rest of the flagships. Least favorite was the PSE. I shoot Hoyt now (helix) and just love the feel, grip and draw cycle. Hoyt changed the cams since the Helix and I thought it couldn't be better. Wrong. After shooting the thing, it's all I thought about for days. So I bought one.

Go shoot em all and get ready to be obsessed. I've settled for used bows that didn't quite fit right in some way over the years, so I went ham this time.

7. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I went and shot pretty much everything new that come out. I liked the new carbon elite the best so I ordered one. Probably won’t be here until at least the end of March….. although I can still change my mind, the rx7 was pretty nice too. Wanted to like the new matthews but they are incredibly easy to torque and didn’t like the grip.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  8. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I know how they hook you. Haha. The guy at the shop keep saying here go shoot this one, or try this one. I know once I do it will be over and I will buy one. Lol. Now that most of the new models are out I my need to go back and see if any deals on last year models. The Prime I was really impressed with over all look and feel in hand, but that could all change once I shoot. This was there first year to go back to a single cam system, major change for them. Im just worried they dont have all the kinks worked out on the first year. The bow tech was actually shooting a PSE, that was his pick of all the major brands.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That's good to know about mathews. I've had problems with my current one. When I'm pressured and trying to make a shot, I notice that is a problem with me, I torque the heck out of the grip. It's the thing I work on the most.

arrowflinger1 likes this.
  10. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I got my new SR350 back in late spring, just waiting on a set of Lucky Stops to arrive .... damn, that bow draws/shoots so darn smooth, quiet and fast ... last bow I'll be buying in a loooong while .....

11. Quiete

Quiete Newb

Dislikes Received:
    As I have written in the thread I have started to get advice, this morning I have ordered the Bowtech CP 30, draw weight 50-60, draw length 27.5, mossy oak country DNA. It's expected in 10 days max :-)
    Then this new movie starts, it's my first compound.

12. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    I actually just picked up a prime inline and I really like it, I was a big prime fan in the past but they lost me on the nexus. You can get an inline (22’ model) for 699$ new. A lot of great bows out there to be had for a great price

cantexian likes this.
  13. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    If you’re considering keeping the halon I’d look into an ultra view grip or consider getting side plates.

14. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That’s exactly how I felt about it. The last matthews I had was the halon 6, I got rid of it because in the heat of the moment there’s a good chance that I’m going to torque it. Target and indoor shooting it was absolutely great.

Holt likes this.
  15. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I will probably keep it. I actually don't mind the grip. There is just something about it I can't explain. It just never felt completely right. I use to have a Bowtech destroyer 350 that shot amazing for me. I could pick that thing up and snap shoot and be dead on. Loved that bow, but it would blow up limbs and bearings on me. Happened 3 times, so had to get rid of it. My next bow I will take the time to find one that is tuned with me.

16. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've missed 4 deer this year with that bow. Have a feeling that's exactly what's going on. Might be time sooner then later for a new bow.

MUDSHARK and arrowflinger1 like this.
  17. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Well I got an update that I should see it in 2 weeks. That'll be about 9 weeks since I bought it. Sheesh. I hate waiting.

MUDSHARK likes this.
  18. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    when I went to get my sr350 back in late spring, the wait time was multiple of weeks, if not several months they said ... I wanted a 60lber, they didnt have a 60lber in stock, but they did have a 70lber, no biggie, I just dropped it to 60/62lbs, dosnt effect performance .. ... I hate waiting .. enjoy the new bow(s) guys ...

Ridgerunner3 likes this.
  19. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've struggled through a grossly atypical shooting year on deer for me too...but I've slowly become a slave to the life of not shooting nearly as much as I should and it wasn't until a trusted buddy and I went to shoot the new Mathews (I currently am saving to pay off a V3x 33 I had buddy at shop put back) that he noticed a ton of form issues have cropped up over the years.

I went home and set up camera and dear lord not only was there form issues I also was just inconsistent from shot to shot especially with my feet and hip point....needless to say I messaged my pro shop buddy and said when my new bow is all set up I want to do a form overhaul and FORCE myself to rework my shot. Lot of blind bail and form shooting with zero worry of impact going to be happening in my future.

20. Ridgerunner3

Dislikes Received:
    Surprised to see all the talk of torquing those dampener clad Mathews bows. I just hated the weight and the draw cycle on the last few, but that aspect is a new one to me. I do kind of miss my Drenalin, but so much has changes since that bow.
    Would you all say that form flaws are amplified or that it's just too easy to torque one? I know a couple people derailed this year and I know one was a newer mathews, so I wonder if that is part of it. I may be reaching but genuinely curious.