Video taken to the next level

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Skywalker, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Check out the MSI gaming laptops. I have a GS60, couple years old now. It does a pretty nice job, even with Davinci Resolve. I might recommend going with a GT instead of the GS, seems like they would cool a little better. They offer version with 4K monitors, so you can see edit exactly what your camera recorded.

2. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I need at least a quad core i7 6500 processer with 16gb of RAM and 1TB hard drive. Looks like ill be dropping another 1k at the minimum.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm lagging drastically in budget and camera compared to most of you here....but computer upgrading is one area I intensely researched for quite awhile with two Tech buddies of mine (one does movie editing and the other works for a computer company).

After all of the discussion I'm actually having the computer company guy build me a dedicated desktop completely. Why desktop and not laptop? Really the only upside to the laptop was going to be if I ever start traveling more and making Small Acre Hunting videos progress into something where away from home rendering and editing would occur...right now and for the foreseeable future that just isn't going to happen. You can build such a better unit overall and easier to upgrade in future with a desktop than a laptop.

I chose to buy a used G20 (from Tacklebox) and upgrade my computer situation rather than get a higher end camera but still be operating off a low budget Acer POS laptop....the better computer and ability to actually run dedicated editing software (DaVinci was recommended by the movie buddy...he had the free before upgrading to full blown $1000 version) than to have a killer camera but not be able to do much with the footage. In the end for me personally it is gonna always be content over image quality (within reason of course).

This will be the first season where I will run fully dedicated to filming hunts so if I end up liking it I'll probably invest in a solid small 4k second angle cam first, as right now I'll be running just a Epic Cam sometimes....as well as a knock GoPro which takes solid enough images and my phone mounted to stand with a Hawk accessory arm which is pretty sweet.

May never fully be able to justify to the wife a couple grand put into a seriously nice camera unless I start filming for at minimum a semi-professional show of somekind.

Side question....Lanc remote recommendations for my G20....go:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  4. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:

Definitely invest in an external harddrive especially if going 4K. My movie buddy told me only have what you are currently needing to edit on the actual harddrive. Pull even B roll and such in off of External on an as needed basis. You walk into his "man cave" Dude has bookshelves not of books but massive amounts of external harddrives.

5. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Varizoom Stealth. Do yourself a favor as well and electric tape the wires to the fluid head arm the whole way from front of the controller to the 6" or so of cord you need right before the plug. I didn't do this last year and tore the wire out of the controller while climbing a tree and ended up having to replace it.

6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    The Stealth I've seen in the LX model as well as the mini? Which one specifically do you like and utilize?

7. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  8. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Another question for you guys...external monitors. I want one for my new Panasonic. Does anybody have any insight? Im kinda lost on the topic.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I own a SmallHD AC7 that I have had for several years. Nice monitor. I really should use more than I do.

10. txbowhunter13

txbowhunter13 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm really tempted to buy a GH5 and roll with the DJI Ronin 2, sort of the same concept, both the crane and the Ronin take video to the next level.

11. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Well full computer build is home and in the ManCave. Now to decide what video editing software I want to go with. PowerDirector has my eye for ease of use and somewhat familiar with....and the other choice is Adobe Premiere Elements.

Also want to add a dedicated large monitor to the mix too and run 2 or 3 for full projects which will make ease of cyphering through files.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Before you go out and buy something, give the Davinci Resolve 14 a shot. It's free so there's no reason not to. I haven't played with the new version yet, but 12.5 was fully capable and from the sounds of it, they have been able to get 14 to work much faster than 12.5 was.

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I was running it and just never could quite get around to liking the layout and such. For adjusting lighting and such on video it is incredible...way more advanced than this guy can wrap his head around. Powerdirector is simply laid out in a way my dumb brain thinks more...when I need something I instinctively can usually find it where I'd suspect it would be.

I'm happy so far but still hasn't been a week since grabbing it...actually only about 24 hours lol! I had Resolve for about 3 weeks and just never liked it personally. It is for sure amazing for the tag of free.

14. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Im running 1080p AVCHD still because i don have a new laptop yet. Hopefully by deer season.