Video taken to the next level

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Skywalker, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Speaking of video editors, what do you guys prefer?

Ive used Corel for years, 6 and 7. With my upgrade to 4k i hear that Corel 10 is one of the better options once again.

2. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm not using 4k yet. I used Premiere Elements last year for my buck video. I'm not an expert by any means, but it seemed to work well for the short time I've used it.

3. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I do everything in Premiere Pro CC (Starting to dabble in AE a little more as well). I get an educator's discount, and have used it for years, so it's what I'm used to. If I didn't use much of the Creative Suite to warrant the subscription, I probably wouldn't have it.

DaVinci Resolve and Vegas are two I would look at if I was outside of Adobe.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I was testing the autofocus last night and it worked really really well, but I was just doing it in the house. It really made a nice smooth transition as it changed focus. You can also change the speed at which the focus is pulled which is really nice. It would be interesting to see how well it worked in a tree. Typically I have always filmed in manual focus while hunting because there's just so much stuff going on that my camera's have always picked the wrong focal point. The nice thing about this camera is that it handles light so much better than most camcorders that you can actually drop your F-stop to much lower and still have plenty of light, this helps keep more of the frame in focus as opposed to needing to film at F3.5, you can easily film at F8 and still get excellent video quality.
    Here's something pretty cool, this camera has the clear image zoom built in. That means you can put a prime lens on, but use it as a zoom lens. The Sony RM-VPR1 will plug into the camera and control, power, record and zoom functions on this camera. That means you can film with say the Sony FE 85mm 1.8, and have a zoom of 127.5mm to 255mm(since that's a full frame lens on an APS-C sensor).
    I only have Sony lenses, so I'm not sure about the Canon lenses from experience but I can tell you that I bought the LE-AE4 adapter to let me mount my A-mount lenses to this camera. I have mounted a Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 50-500, Sony 18-55, and a Minolta 50mm with the adapter and the autofocus seem to work great. From my understanding, with the right adapter, the Canon's should work equally as well.
    Here's an interesting comparison. I took similar pictures of my daughter sitting on the couch. It was night out, so the only light was from the lights in the house. I used my Sony A57 with the 50-500mm lens. Shot at 500mm from about 10ft away. Then, repeated the shot with the A6300, the adapter and the 50-500 from the same distance. It was night and day. The A6300 destroyed my A57 in every way.
    [​IMG]

DEC likes this.
  5. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    This is the one I bought. It will accept the 4k out of the camera and display it on the 1080 screen. It's fairly cheaply made, but the picture quality is pretty darn good. For the price, it's a pretty solid monitor.
    https://www.amazon.com/Bestview-Camera-Monitor-2200mAh-Battery/dp/B01N3Q71M2

6. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    I use Davinci Resolve 12.5. Why? Because it's freaking free and does pretty much everything you will need it to do. It's pretty similar feel to Adobe PP. I have no problem editing 4K in it. I haven't figured out how to get it to do what I want with 120fps, but I'm sure I will figure it out.

DEC likes this.
  7. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will be hunting with some buddies in Kansas in about 10 days and one of them runs a couple Sony A7r bodies, Canon lenses, and the Metabones. I will talk to him and see if I can get some hands on time with one of his rigs. I would love nothing more than to self film a hunt with my 70-200L f/2.8 Canon glass.

Thanks for the input. This gives me something to keep my eye on. I still shoot in 1080 for now, so the jump to 4k is not far off. But when I do it, I want to do it with the right rig, and if I can do so using my Canon glass then all the better.

Skywalker likes this.
  8. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Man, I would love that budget for filming hunts :)

9. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They run on an actual legitimate TV show budget.

Me ... I run a hobby on a "fun money" budget with an accountant wife who probably would like to choke me most days. Her idea and my idea of "fun money" is often MUCH different. LOL.

10. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
  11. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    ...go on.

12. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    Check it out. I honestly can't believe the give this software away for free. The full version goes for $1000, but really doesn't have that many added features. None of which I would need.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

13. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Regarding DaVinci ... be sure to look at their graphics card requirements. The software is very GPU dependent. Meaning that you can have all the horsepower made in processor and RAM, yet the software will not run. It took me a while to figure it out because I had a brand new laptop with some high end AMD video card for CAD work and it still wouldn't run Resolve. I finally scrapped my old GPU out of my desk top for a $240 GTX 1060 and all is fine now. They have very specific GPU information on their site. Basically if it is an x60, x70, x80 type of card you will be fine. Just make sure whatever GPU you buy will work. There are online forums to help.

I haven't done a full edit in DaVinci yet, but what I have done playing around with it, I can see me jumping ship on my Adobe Premiere Pro CC when my annual subscription is up next winter.

14. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    That may be the case. I have an NVIDIA GTX970M in my Laptop and it runs pretty well on that.

DEC likes this.
  15. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A handheld gimbal is on my list of things to get, after I get my drone...

... and a couple more lenses.

... and an external monitor.

... and a new camera pack.

... and a couple action cams.

Skywalker likes this.
  16. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    External monitor, new pack and action cams are on my list.

Lets discuss.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

17. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking at getting the Sony action cam vs the GoPro. Optical IS, better lowlight, and I really like my a6300, so I'm sure it'll live up to my expectations.

I'll be getting a cheap external for my a6300 since the screen. I'm looking at the ikan VL35. It's small at 3.5", but that's all I need for my setup. I just need a little more versatility for screen angle, especially for interviews.

18. Fitz

Fitz Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm honestly hoping that Sony will release the next a6XXX camera in the next year or so and it'll address a few of it's short comings, including the screen. I'd love to see them beef up the size just a touch, allowing for a better button layout and slightly larger battery. Also adding a GH5/70D style flip out screen would be perfect.

DEC likes this.
  19. Skywalker

Dislikes Received:
    It would be nice to be able to view the screen from the lens side of the camera for sure.

20. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Anybody have laptop recomendations for 4k video editing?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk