Video settings for Sony a5100

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by mylsuhat, Oct 2, 2018.

1. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, this Friday marks the beginning of my filming with my Sony a5100. I have the E PZ 18-105mm f/4.0 G OSS Power Zoom Lens and 50mm f/1.8 Optical Lens.

I have been experimenting with the photography side and truly loving it but I wanted some input on video settings. I know the camera has a "smart video" setting where it adjusts all of the settings needed and then you can pick aperture or shutter priority.

What settings do yall recommend? Anything better for early mornings / late evenings vs normal daylight?

I have a remote on the way, hope it comes in on Thursday.

Some of the pics I've taken so far. I'm very new to this but eager to learn and get better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fitz and DEC like this.
  2. Creeks

Creeks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You don't look new to me, I used to do photography, But I shot with a Canon Mark IV.....To me, your using thirds and etc...Only thing I see is I might straighten the background mtns. on the deer pic....
    Creeks

3. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I appreciate that. I have been watching a lot of "How To's" on YouTube and practicing a lot. I've always been intrigued by it but never had the equipment outside of my phone to capture images like I wanted to

4. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would suggest running it in 1080, 60 fps, and in shutter priority mode. Run the shutter speed in normal lighting at 1/125. In lower light take it down to 1/60. You can manually run your ISO accordingly, or set it to Auto ISO ... kind of up to you. For self filming, Auto ISO is pretty forgiving. I would run the AF in continuous and center point with a medium response speed. So long as you keep the game animal relatively centered in the frame it will focus well. The f-stop will adjust accordingly as well, generally going as open as possible given the lighting, up to f/4.0 with that lens. I own that lens and it will do well until the last 15 minutes and first 15 minutes of light. In lower light, you can cheat it a bit and record in 1080, 30 fps, and 1/30 shutter speed. It will often buy you an extra few minutes. I run an A6500, so the feature set is similar to the A5100. I had an A5100 for a few months last spring and it shot nice video. I used it simply for b-roll stuff and views looking back at me as the hunter. I sold it with anticipation of the new yet to be named APS-C soon to be released by Sony. I cannot recall all of the picture profiles and custom settings on the A5100, but play around. I like shooting flat profiles so that I can color correct to my liking in post. If you want a nice lens to add to that camera that will work in lower light, look at the Sony 50 f/1.8. I own one and I use it all the time for photos and video. A couple less expensive options are the Sigma lenses all f/2.8 and come in a variety of 19mm, 30mm, and 60mm. All get great reviews and I am actually thinking about adding the 19mm to my collection. Oh and buy the wired remote control for it. It will work somewhat like a LanC that video cameras use.

Let me know if you have any questions. My time with the A5100 was short, but it is still an excellent camera, short of the lack of mic in and 4K.

5. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Sony 50 f/1.8. Thats what I took the pics of the deer skull, BBQ pit, and the fire with. It's pretty great for pictures. I assume it'll be really good in low light, just lacks the ability to zoom much

6. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yea the 50 f1.8 will do well in low light. You can zoom on it using the wired remote that I mentioned and turning on the Clear Image Zoom feature within the camera. You can take it to 100mm basically with little noticeable loss.

7. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  8. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am in love with this camera so far! Running it in shutter priority and having the camera use the lowest possible f/ where it is crystal clear on me and blurs the background is great. Super easy to work. My remote came in on Monday so I had to work it manually but that will make the process that much easier too

DEC likes this.
  9. mylsuhat

mylsuhat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am terrified about scratching the lens, so how do yall go about cleaning off specks/trash from the camera/lens?

10. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just any lint free lens cloth. They are tougher than you think. I abuse the crap out of my setup.