Video Quality vs Boondocks Internet

Discussion in 'Bowhunt or Die® - Web Show' started by BrianWI, Jan 5, 2013.

1. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys,

The video and sound for your show is awesome... too awesome. I live not too far from Todd's Wisconsin property, out in the sticks. That means I have a slower wireless Internet provider. When I stream your show on Roku, it pauses to load several times per program. Any chance your set up can allow a lower resolution version to come up for slow connections like many other Roku channels do?

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Brian - we can certainly look into that. Do you have a quick example of what the other channels are doing so I may be able to check it out? Specifically, do you have a choice to stream either HD or SD, or does it automatically adjust for you?

3. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Most channels automatically adjust, just like Netflix, Amazon, etc. Yours doesn't seem to drop to a lower resolution, instead creates a minute or more pause to buffer. I can choose a data rate to force lower resolution on other channels, but that setting does not seem to change your stream quality, just increases the pauses. My Internet is a whopping 2M down, but is the best the area has.

It basically seems like your channel (not picking on yours, I do have at least one other channel that does this, I just don't care much about their shows) has no alternative lower bitrate stream.

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Brian - we're making some changes to the Roku channel to better handle people with slower internet connections. We plan on rolling them out in a couple days, but it may take a few weeks for them to get approved and posted to production. Just wanted to let you know we are working on it.

5. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds great! I probably won't see faster speeds for 10 years. I do appreciate the effort. If you get it done and need feedback, let me know.

6. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Brian,

I only have 1.5M down and I know what you mean about ROKU. Connect your computer to the TV with an HDMI cable if you have these available or the computer is close enough to the TV to be able to do so.

Doing this eliminates 99% of the pauses even at my turtle speed.

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    For you guys on slow Internet - you can download the episodes to your computer via iTunes (subscribe to our Podcast). It may take a while to download the full file, but once you have it you can watch at your leisure without worrying about internet speeds.

Oh, and you don't need an iPod/iPhone for this. Just download iTunes (the program) to your computer and download away.

8. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like watching on the TV though with the soundbar and subwoofer....

9. BrianWI

BrianWI Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Justin,

If you made the changes, it seemed to work. I watched this first episode w/o any issues or buffering.

Last edited: May 3, 2013