Venison for Dog Food

Discussion in 'Game Processing, Recipes & Cooking' started by remmett70, May 19, 2017.

1. remmett70

remmett70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My 14 year old Golden Retriever has been dropping weight. We have had to turn to canned food to get him eating. To try and conserve money I've been looking at recipes to make homemade "Toppers" for his dog food. I have a bunch of Beef in the freezer and am going to start using some of the cube steaks or lesser cuts to make some homemade "stews" to mix with his dry food and hopefully it will put some weight back on him. It has also given me the idea of why not do the same for our new puppy.

While reading different sites and articles online I thought. What if anything can I use from the Deer I shoot that would usually go to waste. From reading it sounds like heart, liver, kidneys, lungs can all be used either in food or as treats.

Do any of you make your own dog food from your harvests? Do you have recipes to share if you do?

OhioHunter72 likes this.
  2. Shocker99

Shocker99 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a bunch of saved scraps frozen and have always wanted to look into it. With two 12 lb poodle mixes it wouldn't take much food lol

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

3. Jeepwillys

Jeepwillys Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've also looked into feeding Raw. I've done it some and the dog loves it. He doesn't eat as much because he's getting more of what he needs and not just filler. When I harvest a critter. I save Everything I can, even the rib bones. Any non wight bearing bones for the dog. Poop turns to chalky dust and I've never seen a dog with cleaner, whiter teeth. Breath doesn't stink either.