Velvet Mule Deer

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by JT1992, Feb 19, 2018.

1. JT1992

JT1992 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What states can you hunt mule deer in velvet? Also what are the tags like? I read on an outfitters website in Utah that their private land is direct purchase tags. So that’s obviously a nice deal. I don’t really want to to put in on a tag for 5-10 years just to draw a tag. I’m not opposed to it, there are just other things I would rather put in for with my money (Appalachian elk, or save for a big trip).

Also I want to get out and do a diy backcountry hunt. I really don’t care about trophy size I just want to go out and do it for the experience. So any suggestions there would be nice. I’m planning a Nebraska Muley hunt for this fall, idk how “backcountry” it will be but I’ll probably camp out at least.

2. bowhunter448

bowhunter448 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In Nevada, the archery season starts August 10 and goes through September 9. The last early season I hunted and saw bucks, up until the last weekend were they in Velvet. There are a couple of areas that would work well for backcountry hunting. Area 10 is one with farms and ranches surrounding most of the mountains and aren't very friendly towards hunters. There is plenty of access to the high backcountry hunting in that particular area. I can't exactly tell you how much the license and tags are, but it is a draw and I believe that you can just buy and build up points as a non-resident.

JT1992 likes this.
  3. TKP030

TKP030 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I know ND you can hunt muleys in velvet and i believe it is $250 OTC tag. In the Southwest part of the state there is a whole lot of public land in the badlands, you could also take a nice scenic drive through Theodore Roosevelt National Park. The season is scheduled to start 8-31.

JT1992 likes this.
  4. JT1992

JT1992 Newb

Dislikes Received:

Yeah I’ve looked at ND. But if things work out this Nebraska thing could be an every year deal. And their season starts 9-1 if I’m not mistaken. I would really look into it for a one time deal if nothing else. The landowner is a brother in law to a close friend who guided and he makes it seem like it would be all mine if I wanted. My only hope is that it doesn’t turn out to be one of these deals where it’s, “oh yeah come on out it’s all yours” and it’s private.... and enrolled in a walk in program. I’ve had that happen with a close friend who’s cousin did that and we got to the land and there were 5 other trucks scouting.

5. JT1992

JT1992 Newb

Dislikes Received:

I’ll definitely look into that.
    I’m not against the point system deal, just like I said I have other “sunk costs” in trying to get a tag on things that mean more to me.

6. Anthony7994

Anthony7994 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    AZ has over the counter tags that run from Aug25-Sep15 in most units across the state.

7. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did the AZ diy last year. We went north of Flagstaff only a few of the top units are a draw. Several bucks out of range came home empty handed . Great time of the year.

8. DanyeckAdventures

DanyeckAdventures Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: