Vane weight

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by A5BLASTER, Jan 13, 2017.

1. A5BLASTER

A5BLASTER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hello fellas,

I'm using the standard blazers right now and get awesome broadhead flight and rest clearance but what i want to know is there a vane out there that works as good as the blazer but is lighter then 6 grains.

I'm working on my foc and want to use a lighter vane along with the lighter knocks I'm useing and the fact weights I have to fine tune my foc and total arrow weight.

Thanks for any replys gents.

2. rick-florida

rick-florida Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    if you want to stay with vanes you're probably stuck with about that weight. The 2 inch RAYZR feather fletching, however, only weighs 1.3 grains per feather for a savings of 14 grains per arrow. Have been using RAYZRs for 10 years or so and would put them up against Blazer or any other vane out there for quality of arrow flight. Plus ups the FOC

3. rick-florida

Dislikes Received:
    I'll add at one time seems Gateway, the company that makes the RAYZR fletching, offered to cut your turkey feathers for use as fletching. I saved the wing feathers from last fall's turkey and plan to do that. For me, hunting with arrows fletched with a bird I bagged would just add to my enjoyment of the hunt.

4. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Can you put those feathers on with glue in a regular fletching jig or do you have to use that tape?

5. rick-florida

Dislikes Received:
    use glue using a regular jig. currently a bitzenburger now but started out with an old Arizona fletch tool in the 80s. using bohning fletch-tite now but have used other brands of glue and it all seemed to work. prefer wraps myself but works fine without.

6. blueicefire

blueicefire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bohning makes a new hunting vanes called HEAT.. They are 2.5" long .41" inches high, but slightly lighter and not much bigger than the blazer vanes.