Vacuum sealing already frozen venison?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by meatseeker, Nov 23, 2016.

1. meatseeker

meatseeker Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I got my deer meat back from the butcher and it's sitting nice in the freezer all wrapped in freezer paper. I just got my hands on a food saver and am wondering if I can open up the freezer wrapped venison, remove the wrap and vacuum seal it. Will that work?

2. FEB

FEB Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think I've done that before, don't see a problem. I sealed it with the paper still on there.

3. Swise660

Swise660 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do it with ground venison all the time with out an issue. When we bring scrap in to be ground for burger (don't have a grinder) we get it back frozen, wrapped in paper. I take the paper off and put it in food saver bags.

Also if I find a package of steaks, roust, whatever that isn't sealed in the freezer, I will repackage it and food save it again.

4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shouldn't even need to unwrap it before hand. Paper remaining on gives you a place to label and date, and if by chance the seal breaks with time(happens from time to time) it is just one more barrier to protect against ice crystals directly on the meat.

If you do unwrap it, since it is already frozen watch for any type of peaks or other sharp edges that could puncture the plastic bag either when sealing or stacking in the freezer.