VA weekend Buck II

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Captn Kirk, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Update two deer down 4 to go in VA. First I want to say thanks to all who contribute to this site. It has helped me be a better archery hunter. Monday evening hunt had the wind from the east so I had a stand (18’ ladder) in an oak tree on the edge of a field looking into the woods. When I got to the stand I laid a sent trail using “Tinks 69” on a piece of cloth tied to a string and some ever calm heard sent and buck in rut sent. This combination has worked for me. The night before I had a buck follow the trail past a different stand 60 yds. to the south east (set for a north northwest wind) but let him walk for poor shooting light. I was concerned that I would stick out to much so I was sitting extra tight. At the end of the hunt I decided to pack up took one last look before standing up and to my left and saw a little movement. The deer picked up his head and I could see he was a shooter and he was on the sent trail. He got to thirty yds. and stopped. I kept telling myself do not rush the shoot he will come in and be broadside at 20 yds. We all know what happened next he left the sent trail and went straight into some thick brush just before the field. I did not want to stand up as I could not see him so I sat. He pooped out and turned towards me on a slow walk. I got ready if he stayed on this line he would pass at 10yds. He got in line with a small oak and made another 180 degree turn walking away no shot. He took ten steps or so and stopped and I could see him thru a small opening in the dead oak leaves and branches around 20yds so let him walk or shoot now as I was almost out of light. It was a tough angel but I settled the pin on the left front and took the shot Shuswap. He took off full bore but tail down so I knew he was hurt. He crossed the hundred yard field and was breaking to the right towards the bad neighbor’s land that will not allow game retrieval. I got out of the tree no arrow or blood at the shot spot so I decided to back out and hope that he would lay down on the right side of the property line. I hoped to find him in the AM so up to the house and wait for dawn. Back at the stand and in the morning light still no blood and no arrow. I decided to go to the last spot I saw him before he went over the hill thru a small patch of mowed grass then woods again. As I walked along the field edge looking back at the stand I could see his path in the higher field and found a few drops of blood. A few feet later I had good but dark blood and knew he was dead hoping he was close and did not cross the property line. Lucky for me I could see him in the woods close but not over the line. Bad placed shot as the arrow was in his left rear side only 4 inches sticking out. Backing out was the best thing I could have done. Saturday in the AM I had a Buck of a lifetime go by at 40 yards!! I made a mistake and did not move the HHA site that was set at 30 yds. Doooh!! The four day weekend hunt I saw 5 doe, five bucks, two cats missed one great buck :beer: let 3 walk and got lucky:nana: 2014 Buck II.jpg

2. Western MA Hunter

Western MA Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    very nice buck! congrats

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats, nothing wrong with a little luck

4. Lester

Lester Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats!

5. redneck2812

redneck2812 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck

Nice buck!! Where at in VA do you hunt? I hunt in Brunswick County if you're familiar with where that is.

6. Captn Kirk

Captn Kirk Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am just north of Fredericksburg north side of the Rappahannock River. I did have to look up Brunswick;)