VA, NC, WV, MD, PA, TN, KY, DE----Fall 2013 Public land hunt get together

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by virginiashadow, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haha yessir! The first thing that goes through my head when the thought of letting one fly enters my head ... Do I feel like dragging it ? 130 is my goal, but I'll settle for 120 or so. Friday is gonna be the ticket ! I know it. I saw a couple dead bucks on 16 once it cools down I think it's gonna bust wide open.

2. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You got this Finny!

Sent from the comfort of my couch in my living room with a temperature of 70.5.... Just sayin'.

3. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Haha!! Agreed!

4. Josh/OH

Josh/OH Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome, Brian :tu:

I've hunted Dillon quite a few times.. I got a cabin about a half hour south of it. Solid choice! And not far from where these guys are hunting. Good luck to you!! Keep us posted.

5. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When I grow up I want to be just like LOO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    Big thanks to Josh and Brett you guys have taught Luke a lot over the last few days! He sucked it all up very nice now when I drive down the rd and he is talking about benches, saddles, thermals etc. It was a pleasure meeting all of you and am defiantly looking forward to the next one ! Before this trip is over I may get to stomp a rat heads antlers in

7. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    I'd rethink that move

8. Bmiller23

Bmiller23 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks josh, it's gonna be my first time there but I'm liking what I've seen f the maps I've been starring at for 6mo lol... I hope to be posting some good news with pics...

Brian

9. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Go get em Finny! Tell Luke I said good luck as well. Great time to be in the woods. I am looking forward to your stories....

After working hard for several weeks in a row then hitting Ohio had left me without seeing my family for ten days. I think that is the longest its ever been since my kids were born. I will be in PA hunting for 10 days, from sun-up til 2, then hanging with my wife and kids the rest of the day. Can't think of anything else I would rather do.

I had a great time and I hope we can build off this experience to build our camp numbers.....but next time we will be at a free campground and have this at our disposal, MAYBE....just an early bone.

The Wayne National Forest is located in the south-eastern part of the US state of Ohio, in the Unglaciated Allegheny Plateau. It is the only national forest in Ohio. Forest headquarters are located between The Plains and Nelsonville, Ohio, on US Route 33, overlooking the Hocking River.
    The forest comprises three administrative and purchase units: Athens, Marietta, and Ironton. Many of the lands included in the forest are former coal-mining lands, and much of this land is owned by the federal government without the mineral rights, those having been retained by former owners.
    As of January 2012, the forest has 240,101 acres (972 km[SUP]2[/SUP]) in federal ownership within a proclamation boundary of 832,147 acres (3,368 km[SUP]2[/SUP]).[SUP][3][/SUP]

• The Athens Unit is located in Athens, Hocking, Morgan, Perry, and Vinton Counties, and includes 67,224 acres (272 km²) as of 2002. It features the Wildcat Hollow Trail, a hiking trail just northeast of Burr Oak State Park in Morgan County; the Stone Church Horse Trail inPerry County; the Utah Ridge Recreation Area in Athens County, and the Dorr Run ATV Trails in Hocking County.
    • The Marietta Unit is located in Monroe, Noble and Washington Counties, and includes 63,381 acres (256 km²) as of 2002, with over half of the total being within Washington County.
    • The Ironton Unit is located in Gallia, Jackson, Lawrence and Scioto Counties, and includes 99,049 acres (401 km²) as of 2002, with over two-thirds of the total being within Lawrence County.
    The area of Ohio included within the Forest is based on late Paleozoic geology, heavy in sandstones and shales, including redbeds, with many coal beds. The topography is typically very rugged, with elevation changes typically in the 200–400 foot range.
    The North Country Trail passes through several areas of the Wayne, in which it is coincident with the Buckeye Trail and the American Discovery Trail.

10. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Im gonna do everything i can to make it next year. Cant wait to start planning. I really wanted to be there this year, think myself and VS (I think) were the first to talk about it. So glad to see the idea come to life. I started a new job this year and that kept me away. But hopefully next year I wont have that issue.

11. gri22ly

gri22ly Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I do those rat horns like this (wobbling back and forth), BAM!! BAM!! BAM!! Then I stomp on there horns...damn rat heads.

12. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Deleted. Wrong thread. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  13. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    Headed back home now tent sprang a leak last night everything got wet. Time to tag out in MD !

14. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bummer men.

At least you guys had a good time!

15. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck Finny. Get something in MD!

16. Lastoneout

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks Brett same to you ! Great weather

17. Tony

Tony Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Guys....planning to hunt Illinois next year or I'd be there ....

18. RugerRedbone

RugerRedbone Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you guys are serious about hunting the Wayne next year I HIGHLY recomend a summer scouting trip. All three areas are huge and finding a place to camp that's easily accessible from the road can be a challenge. You can't block any road or trail at all. And make sure you get a map of the forest because there is a lot of private land throughout the Wayne and its easy to end up somewhere you shouldn't be.

19. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    We talked about getting together for a weekend and scouting next summer. I appreciate the info Ruger.

20. cmonsta

cmonsta Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So has there already been talk/plans started to do this again next year?