UTV trailer.

Discussion in 'DIY Archery & Hunting Projects' started by preachnhunt, Sep 2, 2017.

1. preachnhunt

preachnhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    View attachment 77401 View attachment 77401 View attachment 77402 View attachment 77403 View attachment 77404 View attachment 77406 View attachment 77407 View attachment 77408 My summer project was to redo a utility trailer I have owned for fifteen years and make it into a single use trailer to haul my Kubota RTV.

The problem I was having is every time I would got to the farm I hunt to scout or hang stands mow,etc. I was getting my truck dirty and scratched up. I decided that I would fix up a utility trailer to haul my RTV so my truck doesn't get so beat up. I will take it when I hunt,but it will only come off the trailer if I need to retrieve a deer because I always walk to and from my stand.

One of the most important things was to make it easy to load. We have two RTVs which we use for our busines,running a dog kennel. I have to use the RTV every day so it must be unloaded and then reloaded the next time I go to the farm. What I decided to do was to mount a cable on the trailer where the back of the utility vehicle goes. I simply drive over the cable,put the cable over the hitch ball ,hook the winch to the front of the trailer,and tighen the winch. This puts tension on both ends and off we go.

The ramp is lightweight aluminum,so I will lock it to the trailer when I am hunting. I plan to put a fifty foot cable in the box on the front,some jugs of water and game cleaning stuff,so I can get a deer out of the gully he will no doubt decide to die in,and field dress. The dump bed is hydraulic so I plan to see if I can load a deer by myself. If not, I am going to weld a pulley to the top bar of the RTV so I can run the winch cable over the top,hook to a deer ,and pull it into the dump bed. The pictures are before and after.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    Ldsturg and JungleJoe like this.
  2. JungleJoe

JungleJoe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great build out preach! I really like the OD green. By chance do you have any pictures of the build out and can you explain the steps you took? Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

3. preachnhunt

preachnhunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks,jungle joe. I don't have any pictures of the build out ,but here are the steps.
    First I had to get new tires because the ones on it were rotten. I then took off the boards on the deck. The hardest ,most time consuming part was getting through the rust. There was a lot! I used a grinder with a wire brush attachment. As I got a little done I sprayed it with primer,and then moved on. It took a long time because I didn't have big blocks of time to work.

After I had the trailer mostly sprayed I took the wheels off and worked on the part behind the wheels. I also took the rust off the wheels and painted them. In the mean time I ordered new fenders from amazon. I don't know how to weld,so I took the whole thing to my welder. He installed the new fenders and corrected a couple of places that had broken loose over time. When I got it home I started painting. A new ramp came from amazon and I painted it black. When the whole trailer was painted I rehooked and tested the lights with a friend's help. Lowes had treated lumber in 16 foot pieces. I installed the new wood, attached the cable and applied the reflector stickers. The final step was to mount the tool box and take pictures.

The jack will not work correctly,so one is ordered and I will have it welded on. The paint is Rustoleum camo paint from walmart. I had to just use spray cans because I don't have a sprayer. It was a fun project which I finished just in time,because the bow season started here yesterday. Now we hunt!

JungleJoe likes this.