Using lineman’s ropes

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by WildernessPhantom, Dec 23, 2019.

1. WildernessPhantom

WildernessPhantom Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a question for you all. I always use a safety harness when in stand. Hanging the sticks and stand, not really. I use a climber on straight trees with no limbs so I am attached from ground up. When I use sticks and hang on, it’s because the tree has branches. I’m wanting to be safer being I have two little girls that depend on me. I just can’t seem to understand how one rope does it. Do you all use two so that while disconnecting to go over a branch, another rope is attached? Just trying to be smarter and appreciate any advice. Thanks and Merry Christmas. God bless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr.O likes this.
  2. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Two ropes is definitely safer if you are having to deal with branches.

3. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. I kinda got it. Two ropes, unhook top and move around obstacles and move bottom rope up etc. opposite going down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    You got it. Its so much easier to hang the stand too. Sure its a little slower going down but I'll take a slow decent to 9.8 meters per second squared any day.

Mr.O likes this.
  5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    2 ropes would be optimal but I'll be honest - I never use 2 ropes. When it comes to hanging stands we all need to understand that we're assuming some risk. While we try to minimize that risk, eliminating it entirely isn't always practical. So yes, from time to time I'm not totally attached as I'm moving my belt over a limb. I don't hang stands without a lineman's belt at this point in my life - both for safety reasons and because it's so much easier. I honestly have no idea how I ever did it without a harness and belt to keep me hands-free. Once you use one you'll never go back.

Also, I use the HSS Lineman's strap in place of a rope w/prussic knot. I find it much easier to adjust with one hand than trying to slide a prussic knot.

https://huntersafetysystem.com/collections/accessories-test/products/linemans-climbing-strap-3

6. WildernessPhantom

Dislikes Received:
    Yes, I am at the point in my life I need to start being a little safer. It looks like it will make it easier as well. To think all this time, I been putting 4 or 5 sticks up and then climbing up with the stand in one hand and hanging onto the tree with the other while hanging it. I feel pretty lucky honestly. Thanks for all the advice. I hope everyone had a good Christmas and a has a Happy New Year.

7. wildernessninja

wildernessninja Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Use two ropes. If it a small tree i have risked it which not smartest thing to do.

8. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use 2 ropes unless the tree has a ton of branches. Then I admit I disconnect when I climb, always keeping 3 points of contact. Then I attach rope while attaching each stick and the stand. I take my time and make sure I have solid footing. There is some risk involved I know.

9. Westfinger

Dislikes Received:
    The lineman rope is going to make your life so much easier. Once you make your initial climb up you can hang a regular safety line and then you will be able to go straight up the tree without having to juggle the lineman ropes.