Using headphones for audio

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by bodenjerryj, Sep 10, 2013.

1. bodenjerryj

bodenjerryj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I recently bought samson wireless mics and will be using them with my sony hxr70u camcorder and shotgun mic. I want to use headphones while recording in the tree stand but was wondering which headphones to get? Can I just use basic stereo type headphones or do I need a special type? Any advise would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jerry

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you just want to make sure they are quality and you don't get a lot of trash in the audio you are hearing. I've tried out a couple of my daughters cheaper headphones and you can tell they are low quality. I'm actually using a good quality pair of earbuds that seem to sound much better. Eventually I'll probably upgrade to something a little more professional, but I think I've spent enough this year.

3. bodenjerryj

bodenjerryj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks skywalker. I'd like to get a more professional pair, but wasn't sure what to use. I don't want to break the bank on headphones but want to get something reliable.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Honestly, the earbuds that I'm using seem to do a good job at blocking out the background noise and all I can hear is the audio coming in. I can't tell you what they are, but the have a nice foam/rubber cup that seat tight in my ear.

5. Grahambo

Grahambo Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As close to Illinois while still in the Hoosier St
    Jerry and Skywalker,
    I asked Trevor the same question and he told me he got his at Walmart , Sony for $30. Those are the ones I got and they work great.
    Thanks,
    TG

6. Trevor Olson

Trevor Olson BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Yea, I use Sony brand headphone you can pick up at walmart. Not overly expensive and if you drop them or ding them up in the woods, you are not out a ton of money. I have filmed with a few different people and these seem to be popular. I also lift the shotgun mic channel so I can hear if a deer is coming in. I can hear the hunter fine with the wireless channel through the one side of the headphones.

7. bodenjerryj

bodenjerryj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys. I got my wireless mics in yesterday and can't wait to start using them. I like the idea of lifting the shotgun mic channel Trevor. Maybe that way Jeff wont get mad at me for yelling at him when forgetting I have the headphones on. lol

8. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Which wireless mics did you get? I want to get some for my setup this year! Just trying to keep the price down.

9. bodenjerryj

bodenjerryj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I got the Samson UM-1 wireless mics. They run around $220 from B&H or Campbells. I also got extra microphone, wire clip, and wind screen with them.

10. bodenjerryj

bodenjerryj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I got my sony headphones today from best buy, they have a sale on them right now. Now to get used to wearing them in the deer woods.

11. austin97

austin97 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sony in ear earphones are by far the best in ear headphones for under 75dollars! If you wanted to spend more I would suggest either the monster isport series or the Bose ie2's

12. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I was actually thinking of going out and looking for some headphones tomorrow but it just occured to me that I have a set of Bose around the ear headphones that I haven't used in over a year! These should work great! Glad I was able to find them!

13. bodenjerryj

bodenjerryj Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I was able to get out in the field and use my headphones and wireless mics last night for the first time and was very pleased with how well they worked. Now to lay down some film of deer hitting the ground. G