Using diaphragm call only?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by PSE Buck Killer, Apr 11, 2011.

1. PSE Buck Killer

PSE Buck Killer Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, I am going out tomorrow and I seemed to have misplaced my scratch call. Do you guys think I should be fine just using my mouth call? I rarely hunt turkeys so I really don't know a lot about turkey hunting, I mainly hunt deer.
    Thanks

2. Florida Marine

Florida Marine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I hunted Saturday with a really great hunter who only used a mouth call...his mouth calls rival anything I can do with a box or pot call. He has the ability to make a raspy yelp that I simply cannot mimic with a diaphragm.

Good luck... I am stalling on going into the woods this a.m. due to the storms.

3. DriveTacks

DriveTacks Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    all depends on the bird, the first year I hunted turkey's I only used Diaphragms and I killed a bird, doenst mean I'm great means I had the right bird and got lucky! you can too!

4. michael_pearce

michael_pearce Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The best advice I got was to call very little and sit very still. I went out today for my first turkey hunt and got a big tom to come in to about 50 yards. Once I knew I had his attention I quit calling and let him find my decoys. But he would not commit the last 10 or 20 yards I needed. good luck

5. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If you are calling for yourself, with out a blind, I recommend a mouth call. I have called many birds in, including 3 toms within 20 yards early April in Kansas, with mouth calls. Start watching dvds or tivo programs where you can find a call sequence you like and then practice on each type of call you have. Practice, practice, practice. In Kansas I heard two hens that sounded horrible - you don't have to be perfect. If you get a hen going, just copy her right back - they'll bring in toms to you sometimes. Do you use a strutting tom decoy? They work nice on dominant toms and later in the season.

6. gutone4me

gutone4me Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I only use a mouth call It all depends on how confident you are in your calling. Each bird is different so feel them out and see how much calling they want.:D