Using a decoy

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by henson59, Oct 21, 2015.

1. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For those of you who use decoys when hunting what is your preferred setup? Do you just use a buck or just a doe? Maybe both together? I was thinking about buying a boss babe and giving it a try the last weekend of October and the first week or to of November.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've only Decoy'd with a boss buck. Sometimes I will take one of the antlers offs so it doesn't look as dominant. I've had a couple awesome experiences with it. Killed my first archery buck off the decoy.

3. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Carry-Lite deke I've used with good results... my boy shot a nice buck off it last year during MO's youth season. It saved our neck as the buck emerged from the woods and walked directly beneath our two-man ladder stand. When he went to pick up the slug gun resting agains the shooting rail, he didn't grab the sling too and it "tinked" against the rail. The buck bolted but only ran out about 40 yards and turned back to face the deke in front of us.

I like the Carry-Lite because it doesn't seem too dominant... some of the newer versions that have since come on the market look like deer I'd be happy to shoot myself, LOL. Be careful, as I think a lot of people have experienced that does WILL balk at dekes... but when you catch a cruising buck and he bristles up, well... it's about as cool an experience as you can have. :)

4. henson59

henson59 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Online Walmart had the boss babe listed at $78 so I just bought one of those. Maybe I'll add a buck at some point.

5. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I purchased a Primos Scarface Buck decoy to try this year.

6. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    October 31st 2007. From 9 am to 12 pm I had 5 different bucks come to a doe decoy. 2 fought it out right under me, and another tried to mount it. Unbelievable morning. The next year I arrowed (and never found) a damn good 8 pointer with the same setup.

I always used the carry lite as well, but had more success with a doe. The legs on mine broke a few years ago, so this year I am wanting to get a buck deke and have my old one as a doe bedded.

I did notice that pressured deer really don't pay attention to the decoy. Almost to the point where it did more harm than good at times.

7. doublehelix8

doublehelix8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'll be using a boss babe with some VS1 liquid from conquest on Halloween this year. I'll let you know how it goes.

8. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What brand urine do you guys use that you have found to work the best? Do you use scent wicks or not?

9. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't use any Brad... maybe I should. Usually just the visual attraction works well enough to bring them within range; I spend more time ensuring it's scent-free.

10. Skywalker

Skywalker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've had good results with Tinks 69 gel. It confused the buck that I killed over the decoy enough the he was about to mount the antlered decoy as I put an arrow through him.