Unplowable Food Plots

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rampaige, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One property I hunt has just been logged. Out of 130-ish acres, about 10 of it is clear cut. I had planned on putting in food plots and taking advantage of the clear cuts, but now it is apparent that the terrain is incredibly rocky. There are 12-48" boulders every 5 feet in every direction. Do you have any suggestions for a plant that i could put down that I wouldn't have to harrow or rake?

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I use a small still MS55 or something like that it is a powerhead that you can run all kinds of stuff with it. The tiller for a small tiller gets it done especially if you are just scratching up the soil an inch or so deep, you can get around and between rocks with it.Most equipment rental places will have a machine like that available.

3. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd plant half in radish and half in winter wheat. Both will grow if just thrown on top of the ground. Then every year I'd swap which side was wheat and which side was radish. Will keep your soil healthy and cut way down on fertilizer cost this way.

4. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd broadcast it in wheat or rye and clover this fall just before a rain. The new growth that will probably come in naturally should be pretty fantastic on it's own but it'd be nice to get some clover established as a base. Clearcut forest bounces back a lot faster than most people realize, if you don't manage it, it'll quickly grow into a mess of sprouts and brambles.

5. elkguide

elkguide Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    What covey said. You need to get a crop established before the "forest" takes back its land. I like clover in that situation.

6. Rampaige

Rampaige Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome. Thanks for the help guys. The food plot thing is new to me as I've never really had the opportunity before but the more research I do the more I realized it's not very difficult and I've been missing out. I think I may be adding more micro plots than I thought.