Unofficial official non affiliated Morel contest..

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Okiebob, Mar 30, 2019.

1. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Ready to hit the woods at some point tomorrow, have to change out my headlights now.

20190425_170805.jpg

20190425_171013.jpg

20190425_171019.jpg

2. WillO

WillO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Regarding the Ticks, do you find that the various sprays keep them away totally or do you find some that still manage to bite?

Do you feel them when they bite and have you ever gotten home and noticed one or some on you?

3. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've used this spray for probably 10 years now, and in that time I've never had a tick attached to me and I have had maybe 3 crawling on me. The one time I went out last year without treated clothing I had one attach on my upper chest near the collar bone.

You cannot feel the bite, you can often feel them crawl but not always.

Compare the above to others that are with me with no treatment and they will often have 5-15 ticks on their clothing at the same time after walking through thick shrubbery or tall grass/weeds.

I also spray exposed skin with OFF.

4. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Some friends just found 9 pounds today. Guess now i really gotta get goin. Didn't get to go all weekend cause been nursing my back along. Apparently messed it up Friday at work and woke up Saturday hardly able to get out of bed. Hate lower back injuries. Been dealing with it for last 5 or 6 years and it just comes and goes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Okiebob likes this.
  5. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Finally made it out and found some. Walked around for almost 2 hours and these were 30 yards from where I parked sxs. Lol. Oh well gonna try and go again this week. With the rain probably won't be working so might as well[​IMG]

Okiebob and cls74 like this.
  6. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Live from the hunt ha. Found these on a field edge driving sxs to get to where was gonna look[​IMG]

Okiebob likes this.
  7. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    .[​IMG]

Okiebob and cls74 like this.
  8. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Another cool one, I did not find this and do not know who to credit.

FB_IMG_1556645007369.jpg

Okiebob and jrk_indle84 like this.
  9. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Well had to stop, started raining pretty hard . Definitely gonna go back tho

10. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I found a big bag full on Saturday. This is about a third of the total. All in one hour and in about a one acre spot. I rarely got to stand back up, just crawled on my hands and knees picking. One of my best outings in years. I hope that is a sign of things to come. We just got more rain and cool temps that might keep us going for quite a while.
    20190427_123535.jpg

Lester, Okiebob and cls74 like this.
  11. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    That's how I've been finding them. Kinda crazy this is probably most I've found myself for a good while. Was actually finding them right up until rain started today. Decided after few lightning bolts flashed I would just go back ha.

fletch920 likes this.
  12. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They have stopped popping down here in Oklahoma but this weekend I was out at the farm and clearing a spot on the woodline and found a new honey hole. There were about 30 good sized morels but they had been there for a bit and were starting to go south. Next year!

fletch920 likes this.
  13. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My real season starts tomorrow. So far I have been out about 4 times, and totaled maybe 4 hours.

This weather has really fooled me, with cooler temps I really thought yellows would be popping late. Was absolutely disgusted to see a bunch of big yellows being found this past weekend and early this week.

Good thing is I am going 35 miles north so should be hitting primetime there.

Might end up canceling vacation next week depending on how well or poorly I do. I learned a lot this year and won't be fooled again. Not as smart as I thought I was :lol:

Okiebob likes this.
  14. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty sure morels have made a fool out of many a people. I caught one hell of a cold once out picking in a all out thunderstorm complete with gully washer of a rain.. but they were popping as fast as I could pick them so.. worth it.

cls74 likes this.
  15. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm done, 2 days out and just shy of 4 pounds.

The rain really did a number on the ones that were up, probably 2-3lbs went unpicked as they were not salvageable. Damn hills kicked my ass today, still found fresh greys and yellows but with the undergrowth rapidly growing and the pound per gour rate, just wasn't paying for itself :lol:

Probably 5 1/2 pounds in total. I'll take it any year.

Okiebob likes this.
  16. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah, going back to work Monday. Going to switch my vacation to Memorial Day week, get the same 10 days off but only costing me 30 vacation hours. Should be good fishing.

17. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Just went and looked one last time. Checked the spots found all them earlier this week and found few nice ones. Got to last spot and found a bags worth. They were all bigs ones like the pic (it's biggest) but still found few fresh smaller ones and some that were about dried up. All together bout half or little over of a 5 gallon bucket. I'd day they're done tho in this area unless any rain this week gets them up again bit usually when i find the real big ones it's over. Pretty good year tho, I'd guess found 10 pounds at least this year so best I've had in while. Probably more than 10 actually. [​IMG]

Okiebob likes this.
  18. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, rain won't create another flush here. It'll pretty much ruin what's up and emd the season. I was a week late to the party.

Found my first one April 13th and last one May 3rd. 3 week season, cool weather didn't have nearly the effect I thought it did.

From now on the clock starts ticking from the date of first find regardless of how cool and wet it seems.

19. jrk_indle84

Dislikes Received:
    Yea the cool temps threw me off this year. I'm not sure we had much of a season much past a week or so here, at least where I look. First time I went was easter and didn't find any, went back to same spot and hit them good. Now today found tje bigger ones that weren't there I don't believe Tuesday and some the other found weren't completely dried out but were getting there. So idk if shoulda been goin that week break in between the 21st and 28th or not. Didn't hear of anyone local finding many before the 28th and found most of mine 29th and 30th.

20. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I found these turkey hunting last weekend. Usually one batch is enough to get me through until the next year.

Okiebob likes this.