Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Uncle!!!

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting' started by NY Bowhunter, Mar 8, 2012.

1. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It's official. I'm the worlds worst shed hunter :lmao:. I've been all over the county in search of this mysterious shed stuff. My alpha burlys must have 50 miles on them lol. Bedding areas, trails, creek crossings, fenclines, hedgerows, funnels, ridges, hillsides, ravines, gullys, brush, timber, you get it.... NOTHING! Not even a spike (well.. that would probably be tough to find). Not even a littl 6. Not sure what else I could possibly cover. Good excersise if anything else.

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Don't know about that. I am probably just as bad or worse. Still waiting to find my first ever shed and been at it for 4 years now. Just heard that an area that I have well over 12 hours the last few weeks with no luck a buddy found one just the other day. Don't know how he did it but whatever it takes I don't have it!

3. wags1

wags1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    think i got you both beat as far as worlds worst. however realizing that, i wised up and don't hunt them anymore

4. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    That reason you stated is exactly why I am still worse! You were smart enough to give up. I am still to stupid to do that. Don't know that I will ever give up but from the looks of it I will never find a shed either! Atleast I get out and enjoy nature!

5. quiksilver

quiksilver Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Dude, it's all about location. If you want to learn to shed hunt, find some areas where hunting is prohibited, and start walking those. You'll find sheds.

Once you get good at dialing in on them, shift your focus to other areas that look sheddy.

New York is a lot like PA. Unless you're pounding dirt that doesn't get shot out by the orange army, you're just not going to find any sheds, b/c there just aren't that many bucks carrying over. It's the harsh reality of shed hunting in states that are loaded to the gills with hunters.

The best places in PA to pick good shed numbers are parks and nature preserves.

At the end of the day, you'll still be walking your *** off, but at least you'll be finding stuff.

6. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fran is right. Location is the key. You've got to be able to shed hunt where the bucks are wintering. Most of my hunting spots are no good for shed hunting. The bucks aren't wintering there.

Tim

7. IrishHunter

IrishHunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Same luck here, But keeping it positive...

I been shed hunting some private no hunting land with game trails, fields, and bedding areas. No luck at all finding any. Definitly know they go to the field cause I see deer **** everywhere. The bedding areas are full of it too and game trails have prints all through them. I did notice fourwheeler tracks in the grass of the fields so im thinking someone else has been hunting them or just riding through the fields. But as I was walking through one of the fields going back and forth looking I come across this imprint that looked like it could of had a nice size shed laying in it. It could of been a stick but def had the bend of a shed. But its ok cause as the time was passing and the sun was setting I went back and sat on the edge of the field and watched acouple deer come in and walk around for a good half hour. So even though I had no luck it was nice seeing them out there. Also I know what direction they came from and its an area I didnt look in so that will be my next area. So dont give up one day you will be walking through the woods and get lucky. I think thats what makes this so much fun. PLus it is called she HUNTING hahaha. Good luck and you will find one some day.

8. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Location, Location and Location. Nothing else matters.

9. jfergus7

Dislikes Received:
    Well aware of locations key I think I am just blind. Will be out early tomorrow again! Hope my luck finally changes!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

10. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Sometimes its like a needle in a haystack! Stick with it, and good luck!