Ultraview UV3 or UV3XL

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by KRATOCT, Dec 8, 2022.

1. KRATOCT

KRATOCT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I've been doing a lot of searching for opinions related to this topic as well as contacting Ultraview and some of their largest dealers directly. The search hasn't yielded many results as I have not come across a forum post, article or youtube review on it and the answers I have received from Ultraview and the dealers vary.

I will be building a new bow this year, most likely looking to be the Phase 4 29 based on what I have shot so far. I currently have the Axcel Landslyde carbon bar that the scope will attach to. Primary focus is whitetail hunting in Michigan but a whitetail, mule deer or Elk hunt out west typically happens every year, recently the focus has been elk. I shoot an indoor 3d league and a dart video league in the winter months as well as 1-2 TAC shoots a year.

I definitely strive to set up tune and shoot my bows to be far more accurate than the average hunter walking into a pro shop; its important to me but most of all I enjoy it. I have been running the same bow for the past ten years however and I'm due for an upgrade so plan to get everything new. I have been researching and plan to do significant tuning to have the most accurate set up I can (ex. bare shaft tuning, broadhead tuning, etc.) while keeping this a very functional hunting rig since that is what it will be used as most. I'm questioning that the standard UV3 may be too small at a 31mm scope. However I don't want the UV3XL to be oversized. Without being able to get my hands on these in person, I'm just taking a guess and looking for suggestions.

Thanks!

2. Cledus

Cledus Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I just got my UV3 setup last night, and it’s def smaller but I tend to like smaller scopes. Shot it this AM and see no issues arising with smaller housing.

Unfortunately I have no experience with the two sizes side by side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. KRATOCT

KRATOCT Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Not bashing the 31mm UV3, but I'm starting to wonder what the draw to it over the XL would be if hunting is in the picture at all. The XL seems like it would provide significantly more field of view to get on what could be a moving target. Weight difference between the two has to be minimal. I'm sure the smaller scope in combination of being able to run a smaller peep is more accurate, but how much more accurate are we talking?

4. Mr. Gizzy69

Mr. Gizzy69 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    23392.jpeg 23209.jpeg 23208.jpeg I currently have the UV3XL and I like it alot. I cannot comment on the UV3, but I like the field of view I have with the XL. I can see the entire 3d target and a little bit of the surrounding area so I can see what part of the target I'm shooting. Of course the UV3 is a bit sleeker but I can't imagine the weight or the 10mm in size will be too much. With the UV3 XL I can shoot out to 140 with no rubbing the vanes on the scope.(I run 4 low profile Bohing Air vanes) I run the scope on a Bowfinger 1 sight and love the combo very much. I also got different pin and lens cartridges for mine and love them as well. I really like the 4x doublet Cartridge for indoor or 3d shooting. I put a fiber through the center drilled hole in the lens. But I am going to run a fiber trough the hole then around the cartridge for better light outside. Indoors it's ok but outdoors it's hard to see. I like the 3 pin plus bonus pin set up for hunting and target shooting and the double pin I have works great too. And don't worry about taking cartridges out and the sight yardage being off cause the center pins will remain the same as far as marks. So what I mean is I marked 30 yards on my lens and it was good for my 3 pin and double pins as well. And changing out the cartridges is a breeze. A couple twists on 2 allen bolts and you are good to go. I hope this helps you on your journey.