Turnips turning yellow?

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by robs71100, Nov 12, 2013.

1. robs71100

robs71100 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I planted turnips in August and just had a frost a few days ago and now they're already turning yellow. Is this normal? I planted them for late season and now I'm scared that they won't last? Will they last for the late season?

2. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah that seems odd. Is it staying really wet there?

3. trvsmarine

trvsmarine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Are you talking about the leaves turning yellow ??? Or the bulbs turing yellow ??? I planted my turnips real early in june and mine arent yellow, deer are hammering them right now. Already eating the bulbs !

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

4. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Leaves were my thought first as well...where you at location wise you planted them in June?

5. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Turnips here last year stayed green all winter up until about mid January but they never turned yellow. The hardest freezes turned them black and then they wilted down from there. There are always a few yellow leaves near the ground.

6. ChuckC

ChuckC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Seems on another forum in the past someone said it was due to lacking something in the soil/fertilizer. Can't remember offhand what it was tho.

7. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    If the leaves are turning yellow yes, it's more to do with the soil than the actual turnips.

8. trvsmarine

Dislikes Received:
    Ya i planted them in june on purpose. Tecnically you can plant brassica any time of the year. However if you want "fall food plots" you need to plant in august. Anyhow it was my first year plotting and i wanted to make sure that the results i received for my soil test would get things done properly. So i gave myself ample time to maje sure it worked and that way if it did not i could re till and replant. The opposite happened and they really took off. Within about six weeks the highest stuff was about knee high. Several weeks later though I did get the leaves turning yellow myself. Not the entire plot but alot of it around the edges turned. The color is from lack of nutrients in your soil and chances are its probabaly nitrogen. The facts are that brassica's are nitrogen consumers. As of right now my plots are pretty well mowed down. Finding big leaves is slim pickings and the plots are basically stems everywhere. The deer are still in there searching and eating everything they find. They have already started eating the bulbs. Next year I will obviously wait until august to plant them. I have become a food plot finatic !!!!!!!!

9. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I concur with what you said about they can be planted at any point. Shoot we had some re-seed themselves this year and their bulbs are massive now and stalks/leaves knee high like you stated.

10. trvsmarine

Dislikes Received:
    Nice. Even though my plots arent what they were a couple months ago I really count it as a huge success. Next year my plots will be dynamite come fall !

11. stick n string

stick n string Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I planted my turnips in september. Just now started to get bulbs, but my leaves have started turning yellow in the low lying areas but the higher ground greens are looking awesome. So i have been wondering if its the soil are to much rain. i just dont know

12. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In the furture, maybe some urea would help with the brassicas?

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Urea or basically High dose nitrogen is something we always throw down when dealing with brassicas...few weeks before the season usually.