Turning hunting to fishing?

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by Boyscout, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Boyscout

Boyscout Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I want to learn about how to turning my hunting boiw into a fishing bow that can still be used for hunting and what are my best options to do this.

2. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use to literally use my hunting bow as a fishing bow when I was young and dumb lol Huge into both bow. I’m going to be honest. You’re better off finding a cheap yard sale bow for fishing or something like that. I have a muzzy bowfishing bow that I got off amazon completely set up for a good price but not sure what you’re looking for exactly. When I did it I used a whisker biscuit and super glued the whiskers to make them sturdy. I also used a release then and moved to fingers on my actual fishing bow due to speed shooting. You also don’t wanna really shoot more than 40# because not only will you blow through every single fish and potentially lose them but if you hit something your arrow is gone haha message me if you have any questions man.

Mathews Halon
    Black Eagle outlaws
    Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades
    Nasty combo

3. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here’s the bow I have an also a recurve option man. IMG_0705.JPG IMG_0706.JPG

Mathews Halon
    Black Eagle outlaws
    Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades
    Nasty combo

4. thaechten

thaechten Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Like Kyle said, it's better to just buy a cheaper bowfishing bow and use it rather than convert your hunting bow into a bowfishing bow. I personally started out with an old ams bow I found off craigslist as my first bow and then eventually bought an oneida. If you strip a hunting bow down, then you will have pretty much the same thing as a bowfishing bow. The biggest catch, like Kyle mentioned, is the lower poundage. Not just for shooting through fish but you're also going to be pulling your bow back at least 100x more than you would your hunting bow on a successful trip. This can ware your shoulders and blister your fingers pretty quickly.

If your set on turning your hunting bow into a bowfishing bow though, then I would strip it down, take it to an archery store, and have them adjust the poundage down to ~30 lbs and install finger savers on your string if not replace the string while you're at it (if its frayed at all). The other accessories you need for bowfishing can all be bought and installed yourself fairly easily ranging from reels to rests and arrows and so on. For more detail on converting your hunting bow to a bowfishing bow I would read through this https://outriggeroutdoors.com/blogs/bowfishing/how-to-convert-any-hunting-bow-to-a-bowfishing-bow

Wop 75 likes this.