Turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Lastoneout, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Lastoneout

Lastoneout Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive never hunted turkeys before but would like to give it a try this april, but im totally clueless on how to approach it.

What are the basic supplies needed? calls, etc, etc.

Where to look/sit really any thing basic that I should know?

Im gonna be using my bow mostly

2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Lot's to answer there (I'm certainly no expert) but you might want to just do some google searches on "How to bow hunt turkeys".

But the basic supplies you need from my experience are a call (The box calls are the easiest to start out on) a couple decoys (probably a jake and two hens) maybe a pop up blind if you can't blind a natural blind. It's a start.

3. maurice

maurice Newb

Dislikes Received:
    the first thing is to scout the place you want to hunt , see where the birds are roosting . after that get some calls and decoys and blind . when you get the calls the thing to do is just get on them and start trying to make a call ,(watch some shows ect.) then just get out and hunt you may or may not get a bird this year , i like a slate call .when you find the tree where they sleep the night before set up your blind then get up the next morning and hunt but be ready to move . the bigest thing is just spend time with the birds and learn and have fun. there is not a sound made in the woods that will get you up and going like a thunder chicken!!!

4. tdk5525

tdk5525 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My friend and I started turkey hunting about 17 years ago. We knew NOTHING about turkey hunting and we didn't know anyone who turkey hunted. In Michigan, turkeys weren't hunted all that much. It took us about four years to educate ourselves on turkey hunting. Now I know so many people that hunt, have read so much, watched so many programs, and experienced learning situations afield, we now experience success every year. I just invited a friend to turkey hunt with us on a trip this year. He'll learn more in two days than we did in several seasons. If you have any friends that turkey hunt, you would be wise to hunt with them. I assure you I will receive more joy watching Corey shoot his first turkey than if I shoot another one. I ask several friends a year if they want me to call for them. The tough part of turkey hunting is the set up and calling. Anyone can kill a turkey (with a gun) at 30-40 yards...that's the easy part. I suggest starting with a gun - it's difficult enough at first. Once you learn techniques and strategies, then go with a bow. When you see that first tom coming in while in full strut, I guarantee your heart will race....just like when you see a buck. What a rush!