Turkey season 2021

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by oldnotdead, Jan 24, 2021.

1. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Hubby Stocked me up on many many rounds of Nitro and one other I can't recall at the moment...Thanks for link share.

2. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Drove past camp when going to pick up seed. It was just pouring down there . I'd planned on stopping to rustle up some yelping response or a gobble response. Both hill roads to camp were a mess and being dirt roads 300 #'s of extra weight on the back end of Marqi I opted out of getting stuck or making a mess of the car. Will hit camp first week though.

3. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    OK guys I'm set for tomorrow's opener barring anyone setting out bait...That happens around here. ...
    Just got back from this morning's blind sit. Just pouring and high winds, temps have dropped big time and it's getting cold! I didn't expect much and until well after light didn't get much. Just as I decide I was getting too cold 2 gobbles rang out. One way down the hill on a neighbor and one just above me on a neighbor. I settled back down and did some excited hen cutting,yelping and gobbling. I wanted to pull any dominate hens in. Well 10 mins later I looked behind me.( God sound travels strange here), there was a flock of birds running at the blind. 6 Jake's a giant hen and a smaller hen in the lead. Just as the hens led everyone by, at 4 yrds, the smallest Jake let out a big boy gobble. He was the only one to gobble. They all picked here and there on the bare ground plot ( tons of drowned worms all over)then hit the hinge overs. Now I put this blind where it is ,in the middle of the hinge area after watching turkey use the area as a jungle gym for years. Seriously turkey love to play! They scratched around in the leaf litter a bit then those Jake's PLAYED. I kicked myself for letting AJ frustrate my attempt to quietly leave this a.m. making me forget my phone. What a show they put on. Hopping here and there on logs chasing and wing sparing...I watched one stand on a 18 " cut bass wood log, back hunched, wings down, moving his feet intently. It was strange to watch as I realized he was rolling that little log in place like a lumber jack in a log rolling contest...LOL the entire time the giant hen was a hundred yrds off on a big pile of cut log lengths I'd put aside. She was in a perfect position to scan every where including down in the gully. After fluffy and preening every feather she gave the Jake's a call hopped down and took everyone into the gully then up over the ridge...Gosh that was just plain fun to watch and worth the 4a.m. wake up.
    So 4 groups of birds each with a couple of hens. Two on one side two on the other of property. Long beards on one side and the Jake's on the other. Interesting dynamic. I know where I'll be set up in the morning, rain free so it could be an open brush blind with decoys.

Mod-it and ash d like this.
  4. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Change...snow on and off all night and 31 degrees with high winds....winter gear, fleece hoody are back out..Lol

5. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    To all you May 1 openers...Good luck in the morning. Hope they sound off loud and flop hard.

6. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Ok 3 layers under outer wear...frozen...one gobble not far. Good thing I can see everything for a distance.

20210501_055645.jpg 20210501_055628.jpg

7. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Made it until 8:30 before the feet went from cold. hot then numb. No other sign not even other hunters calling since the one. Gobble.
    I did cross coyote tracks and Fox tracks headed toward.where the turkey gobbled. Kits and pups to feed in cold weather. I see why bird shut up and didn't move my way.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Back at it for end of first day. Won't post again until I tag one..Good luck guys..

20210501_110446.jpg 20210501_110359.jpg

Suncrest08 and FingerMike like this.
  9. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Punched a tag this am, my kid was cracking me up. She touched his face and yelled “This....EWWWW”
    8DBF49C1-B97E-4277-A1B1-C8DEF927A597.jpeg

axtell343, JeffC, FingerMike and 3 others like this.
  10. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Great bird man!

Suncrest08 likes this.
  11. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you!

12. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet Bird Congrats!

Suncrest08 likes this.
  13. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    oldnotdead likes this.
  14. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Working on it, they aren't making it easy this year...May be at hit camp next week.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    FingerMike and axtell343 like this.
  15. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This marks the first season since 2017 that I did not go turkey hunting. The past 2 years on public land around here were not enjoyable. More people, less birds. I probably could've tried harder or spent more time chasing them, but circumstances and all. I'm not really complaining, more like airing out my own lack of fire to even go. I didn't even buy tags.

I guess I will have to wait till next season to attempt a bow bird. Good luck to you still out trying with or without a bow. Our season ended today.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

16. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Went out Sat on some USFS land... Followed a dirt road downhill to the end that appeared to terminate on public... Gates off with no trespassing signs....back up hill. Follow a trail that took me toward the top of one of the tallest mountains... Hear a gobbler in the bottom. Dropped several hundred feet down the mountain... Gobbler shuts up. Back up the mountain, he'd gobble... Figured he was actually on the other side of a small river. Drove around and somebody was already parked there.

Oh well. Season over.

17. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Hoping things turn around starting Thursday with better weather warmer temps. Our season ends at end of May.

18. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Been back at it the last two hours. Complete change in forecast after last night's deluge. Fields drenched ,hunting woods. Light feeding clucks and purrs. Not seeing anything in open plowed field next door. Hoping they may want to check out the newly immersing hay trail plot. Tender grasses and clovers. An hour to go...

20210510_110229.jpg 20210510_110144.jpg

19. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Apparently I was wrong, called a hen out of pines but she decided farmers hay field wasn't too wet. She went right to the tiny section he tilled up before season. No Tom in tow and we had a fun back and forth chat, just 15 mins to go, at least I know they are around and got good pitch practice. 10 mins, time for serious yelps where there are hens there are toms...lol

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  20. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Well that's a wrap for another morning, at least I got some action and picked up more knowledge. Speaking of ,winds picking up and I'm not dressed for that! A tad cold, best get a move on.

Ridgerunner3 likes this.