Turkey Hunting in Snow

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by kyle6464, Apr 14, 2013.

1. kyle6464

kyle6464 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys I live in MN and our first turkey season starts on Wednesday. I am taking my daughter out for her very first turkey hunt. I dont know who is more excited me or her! We have a bunch of snow on the ground and the forcast is calling for highs in the low to mid 40's with rain. We have alot of turkeys on our land so im now worried about there being birds around. I have never hunted in this typed of weather. I am wondering if any of you guys have had any experience hunting in this type of weather and how the birds might act. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Kyle

2. AntlerAddict

AntlerAddict BHOD Crew

Dislikes Received:
    Kyle, I was just out with a buddy yesterday, and it was 31 degrees, windy, and sleeting. We hunted an open field down out of the wind. The birds usually are not to vocal in crappy weather but they're out there so the only way you can get one is being out there also. Figure out where they're feeding during the day, and if it's windy they sometimes like to be in open areas, but maybe out of the wind in a hollow or behind a hill. Most of my turkey hunting success comes from patterning the birds. If you are in the path of where they want to travel, than the calling them in is easier. My buddy got his bird at 11:09, so patience paid off for us. Good luck to you and your daughter, and I'm sure you'll have a good time.

3. kyle6464

kyle6464 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the tips Dean.

4. nsimmons

nsimmons Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Neillsville, WI/ Chippewa Falls, WI/ Spooner, WI
    Kyle,

I just hunted with my girlfriend this past weekend and we had lots of snow. We did not have much time to scout where the birds were feeding but I know if there is open ground on the fields without snow or if the farmer had just spread manure out the birds generally will go to that area. When we were walking in we were walking along a field edge with a creek about 50 yards from the field edge and tall pines between. We came to an area on the field edge that wasn't covered in snow and there were turkey tracks all around it. I had not planned on sitting in that area so we kept walking to the area we had originally planned to hunt but there was no tracks in the snow in that area so I made a quick decision to set up the blind in the pines on the field edge where we had seen the tracks. That decision worked out and we got her her first bird. The video is in another recent turkey hunting topic.

My suggestion look for areas of open areas on the fields and use the snow to your advantage. Turkeys make tracks too. Good luck to you and your daughter. I hope to see some pics