Turkey hunting broadheads?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Th3_IA, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Th3_IA

Th3_IA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Was wondering what broadheads everyone uses for turkeys? I have shot 4-5 different broadheads and haven't found the "perfect" one for me yet. Lets hear what you use and why!:)

2. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using the Rage 2 blade. Last year was my first year with them, and I never had a bird in range, so I can't tell you how they perform.

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Eastman Silvertip or Silverstrike... 3 blade mechanical that aren't COC. These heads are like $10 for a 3 pack and perform extremely well. I've killed lots of turkeys with these heads.

4. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Cheap expandables with a Neet Adder Point behind them. Your arrow will bury in the bird, only problem is getting it out :D

5. Th3_IA

Th3_IA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    OKbow, I have some rage 2 blades that I don't use for deer, would that work with the adder point?

Any other advice?

6. Southernboy

Southernboy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to try the Turkey Terror by American Broadhead....

It gets mixed reviews....anyone know about them ?

SB

7. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'd shoot the cheapest mechanical I could find, with the biggest cutting surface(s) -- Compound.

Or...just shoot whatever you shoot for deer.

8. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see why they wouldn't work. Technically, they should work with any head.

I have shots turkey with COC fixed blades that have this point behind them, and I would have to stand on the turkey and pull with both hands to get the arrow out. In my experience, they work exactly as advertised.

Here is a link

http://www.aimtru.com/neet-adder-po...ield-point-or-broadhead-to-add-xidp91029.html

9. UPbowhunter

UPbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ordered the Magnus Bullheads yesterday, should be here soon. I have to refletch a few full length carbons I have around and will post a report on thier flight charactoristics when I can. From what I have found they are much more tunable then the Guilitines. I have used my spitfires before with some kills but also a few run offs. I like the idea of head/ neck shots hit or miss. It is a bad feeling not to find a bird that has an arrow sticking out of it, bad, bad!

10. Th3_IA

Th3_IA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    broadheads

I know the feeling when a bird runs off and you can't find em. Had that happen twice. Thats the reason for this post... Trying to learn more about it so hopefully it won't happen again!:):) I think I will try those adder points!

11. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

+1 Me to. Had that happen to me on a nice hen last fall. Problem is I know that bird died but I never found it. :(

12. BOWSPEC

BOWSPEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used the Rage 2 blade this year for the first time also, they worked very well on both of the deer I shot this year.

With that said, I had two bad experiences with them on turkeys. One evening I shot a big Tom, it was right before dark and I never found him that night. The next morning I shot another big Tom out of the same stand. 28 yds a little low from the base of the neck, but still a good shot. Got a clean pass through and the arrow was laying sideways right where I had shot the turkey. I went ahead and sat for another three hours hunting that afternoon. I got down and followed blood for 60 yards (lots of blood) and jumped the bird and watched it fly into a corn field (standing corn). The broad head looked like maybe it got jammed up with feathers upon initial penetration. I don't know what happened, two birds, both good shots...same result. I know the second bird was a good shot....I was kind of left baffled by the whole ordeal.

13. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    For now, I am using my old Spitfires that I have left, but in the future, I will be purchasing the Buck Blaster heads, or the turkey version, from Rocket. I don't think they can be beat by cutting surface, can they?

14. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've used 125 grain Thunderheads. 2 lost birds, one recovery. The lost birds were both solid body shots that got their wings under them. The recovery was a head shot.

15. Jim_IV

Jim_IV Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

Glad you pointed that out. I planned on using a couple Rage 2 blades from last year (I switched to Muzzy MX4's this year). Hmmm, I may not use them. I will probably go with a big cheap expandable like Dubbs mentioned

16. BuckRogers

BuckRogers Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used the guillotines for 3 years and harvested one bearded hen and she went about 0.0 feet. My fiance got me some Bullheads for my b-day so I'm excited to try them. I love the kill or miss idea. The first hen made me a believer.

17. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    4 birds with 2 blade Rage and 1 bird with cheap rural king expandables. The Rage will remane my choice for birds. For me they have went through both sides of bird but arrow still hangs in body of bird (this is good) even with massive hole the taxi had no problem fixing hole for mounting.

18. Th3_IA

Th3_IA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think Im going to try the 2 blade rage with adder point behind it...I think...

19. BOWSPEC

BOWSPEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will probably try the big cheap expandable like he mentioned as well

20. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've only shot one with my bow and it was with the BH I use for deer hunting. An 85 gr Wasp SST Hammer, it's a fixed blade. I believe that it's a 1 3/16" cut. My bow is totally tuned for them. I shot the turkey at 18 yards right through the chest cavity. It ran 5 yards and dropped over dead..... no flapping.... nothing. It totally surprised me. I've killed over a dozen with a shot gun and they all flopped and flapped around. I was very impressed with the effectiveness of a broadhead on a turkey.