Turkey Decoy??

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by digio40, Feb 20, 2013.

1. digio40

digio40 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm looking to purchase an Avian LCD hen decoy but cant decide which would be the best to get. I plan on using a single hen set-up, would a feeder or a breeder be the best choice for this set-up?

2. ohiobowhunter77

ohiobowhunter77 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i am pretty new to turkey hunting, and only do it with a bow...but if it were me(again rookie turkey hunter) i think a breeder would be good for early spring...but not sure how well it would work in fall season(if you have one...), and i dont know how well a feeder would work over a breeder in the spring....im sure it would still work though....interesting question and i am looking forward to hear from the turkey vets in here!!!

3. JGD

JGD Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My limited experience has been that a feeder is more visible and a good attractor. A breeder is attractive once the tom gets close enough to see it. I've had the best luck with a tom (strutting or not) and at least one hen decoy. Also, I've had good luck with collapsable, fold up decoy that are not expensive. Hope this helps.

4. wetley49

wetley49 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use 2, a standing hen and a feeder. Seems to work pretty well the past couple of seasons

5. Kansasbuck

Kansasbuck Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I would also go with a feeder if you only plan to use just one. Feeder will be more visible, and feeding is always a nice content looking pose too.

6. Jkano14

Jkano14 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The feeder is the way to go, a more relaxed posed, but either Zink decoy are great. I use the feeder and had a jake standing on top of it last year trying to breed it. I run two hens with a strutter, but the feeder by itself would work fine.

7. Jdicenhour

Jdicenhour Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i agree use the feeder but my reason is this. in nature a hen yelps an the tom answers but it is the hen that usually goes to the tom. thats why alot of toms hang up an don't come into your setup. if you use a decoy that is not looking at the tom or seems to be walking away from him chances are he will commit an come to your decoy. this being said if you place the decoy facing you the tom will circle to the front of it so the hen can see him. if you add a jake or another tom face him toward you to but in a way that it looks as if the hen is coming to him. this setup should have really good result because not only are you teasing him but your also making him jealous at the same time.

8. bowmaster101

bowmaster101 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Gotta go with the feeder, i have shot most of my longbeards with the feeder. and if you plan on hunting the fall season it will work to.

9. MassBow413

MassBow413 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    take a look at the flextone thunder chicken. It allows you to put your own fan on it, i put a jakes fan on it and it works great

10. digio40

digio40 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Great thanks guys. last year i was successful on opening day with a Jake and a hen. Tom came in and walked right pased the hen directly to the jake and proceeded to kick the S%^$ out of it. However, later in the season I experienced two hang-ups with big Toms that wouldnt come to the two decoy set-up they just stood 60 yds away gobbling and strutting and eventually moved on. Im going to try something a little different this year.