Turkey behaviors ??

Discussion in 'Introductions - New User Forum' started by Rick12887, Sep 2, 2020.

1. Rick12887

Rick12887 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What are the differences between spring turkey behaviors and fall behaviors? ..want to know what my approach should be this fall. At this moment in time I have 12 turkeys roaming around my back yard which I am watching from my blind. They have been here over an hour now.

Attached Files:

2. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You can still call them in the fall, but use more hen feeding sounds. Do-its, whit-whits, peel-peel-peel, soft clucks and very non excited yelps.
    I like to just mimic the sounds they are making. Last year while archery elk hunting I encountered a small flock, they were feeding through while I sat on the edge of a clear-cut. Out of boredom I started trying to mimic the sounds they were making with my elk diaphragm and ended up having two of the hens wander over to me within about 25 yards. They mostly yelped and did a sort of yelp-ki-ki-ki sound.
    Another fall method, that I've never tried, is to locate a flock and then scatter them. Seems crazy I know, but they say that after an hour or so they will return to where they were spooked from and call to each other to locate and get the flock back together. In some states it is legal to use dogs to originally scatter the flock, but then put the dogs away, return to that spot and do some soft calling as they return.

3. Rick12887

Rick12887 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome... thanks for the reply