Tunnel vision?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by SuperKirby, Jan 9, 2019.

1. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Has anyone ever dealt with tunnel vision issues while shooting a bow and how do you correct it? I guess honestly I'm not even sure that's the problem I'm dealing with but it's the closest yeah I can find to describe it.
    In a nutshell, within about the first 10 minutes of shooting my bow, when I would draw and get my sight picture, my vision would start to go dark around the edges. As I continued shooting it would get worse to the point that I could draw and as soon as I would aim everything would disappear. It got bad enough that I stopped shooting my bow altogether. I had the same problem with my muzzleloader and prep sights, though not quite to the same degree. When MN allowed scopes the problem disappeared. With my bow I tried shooting without glasses, with both eyes open, and a combination of both. This helped a little bit didn't alleviate the problem by any means, and I really need my glasses to do much shooting.
    Had anyone had any similar problems? If like to get back to shooting a bow. I've read some about shooting with a kisser and no peep. This seems like it might work but I really can't find much info about shooting without a peep.

dnoodles likes this.
  2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

we just had a recent thread where shooting kisser/no peep (and some even with no kisser; just a solid anchor point) was discussed.
    Think on this- in the early 80s, shooting pin sights with neither was common. Then, kissers started popping up. Then peeps. Then more recently, people started dropping kissers and shooting peep only. Now it seems the popularity pendulum is swinging back to where kissers with no peeps is becoming more common.

You say you have glasses. Are you near sighted? Far sighted? In need of bi-focals? You may be becoming near sighted where your eye is trying to focus on the peep which is only inches from your eye vs. the target which is yards away.

Moral of the story- shoot what works for you. Play around with your set up. I would definitely start with kisser/no peep. The peep automatically creates a tunnel for your sight line.

Good luck, bow brother.

3. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Do you shoot with both eyes open? I know when I try shooting with only one eye, I have more trouble with clarity, depth perception, etc. I learned years ago that shooting with both eyes open improves all those problems.