Tuning Problems

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by flystraightandtrue, Aug 5, 2011.

1. flystraightandtrue

flystraightandtrue Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Ok guys, I took my bow to the shop to have everything put back in spec. and the timing checked yesterday. Everything looks good, i also picked up some CX mutiny 350 arrows cut to 30.5. Last year i shot the Mayhem 350's and really liked them. I shoot a hoyt turbohawk at 70 lbs and 30 inch draw length with a trophy taker drop away. I also shoot slick trick magnums 100gr for a broadhead with blazers and a standard nock.

No matter how far i move my rest to the left, or even the right i have a right tear about a half inch or so. Paper tuning is a starting point so i figured that was pretty good and went to do some walk back tuning. NO matter what i do left or right wise i cannot get my broadheads to hit with my field points. They keep hitting to the left.I have no fletching contact either. And for what its worth when i shot the mayhems with slick tricks i was hitting together out to 60.

any ideas?

2. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you keep hitting to the left you got a possible stiff spine , thats asuming your a right handed shooter , increase your bow poundage , or your head weight , Here is how i set my bows up and tune after i build my arrows they all weigh the same all have the exact FOC and are completly square on both ends and spin test perfect not one arrow will have a wobble in it .................first after i get everything set on the bench , then i do a French Tune i put a strip of masking take right down the center of my target , Make sure its plumb with a leval i mark top and bottom with a marker then put the tape on , i start shooting a couple arrows at the top of the target from 10 yards using my top pin , after adjusting he rest to get it splitting the masking tape i step back to 20 using the same top pin and getting it to split the tape by moving the rest left or right , i then go back to 30 using the same top pin repeating what i did at 10 and 20 ..........after that i do a walk back tune from 10 to 60 after that its usually shooting my broadheads and field points perfect i shoot the Slick Tricks as well .

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  3. flystraightandtrue

flystraightandtrue Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Do you do this tuning with FP's or broadheads?

4. Backcountry

Backcountry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With a 30.5" arrow an a 320fps IBO bow, over spine shouldn't be an issue. Sometimes when I just can't a tear out, i'll start over. Go recenter your rest and start from scratch. On a far limb...could be torque. I hate those hoyt grips

5. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I do it with both , no screwing around , i Git R Done.........;)

6. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Do not overlook possible form issue as the cause for your tear.