Tuning help please

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by slowpoke69, Sep 11, 2011.

1. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm lost at this point. I'm shooting a older browning bow, Easton 400 arrows 29", 125 gr fixed blade broad head, 57 lb. with a truball release, and a D loop.

I started paper tuning got that close. Then did the walk back tune that was really close. I can group field points great, but when I put a broad head in its always left or left and low. I originally had 100 gr bumped that to 125 gr no help, bumped poundage no help. Moved nock point no help.

As I'm typing this I got a call from my dad (also a avid bowhunter) I had ran my problems by him earlier and he didnt know either. But he ran I by a couple people he knows and one said they used to sight in with a heavier FP and shoot a lighter BH. IM gonna try that if it works im rolling with it. But I still would like some other ideas JIC.

2. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Did you check centershot? Also, possible cam lean?

3. RAGJ89

RAGJ89 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I had this same problem with my first bow it was a PSE Nova It had a wisker bisket on it and all I did was was line the 3 blades of the broad head with the fletchings as close as I could and it seemed to work for me.

4. BJE80

BJE80 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    This is a myth. Doesn't matter at all if the fletchings are lined up or not.

5. Kramer

Kramer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was going to ask the exact same question tonight as slowpoke. With my field points I'm on target. With my broadheads I'm about 2 1/2" twards 7:30 at 20 yards. Anybody know what I should be looking at? Does it matter that I'm shooting down hill? I set up like I'm going to be hunting, with my ground blind up a slight hill from my ambush point.

6. wis_bow_huntr

wis_bow_huntr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Could this possibly be a spine issue? Maybe try a 340 with a 100Gr. BH???

7. slowpoke69

Dislikes Received:
    I decided to try the 125 fp and 100 bh. It was closer the the 125/125 or the 100/100. So I made a slight rest adjustment and all it did was move my fp high and right and put the bh dead center, but the further I go back the more spaced it gets. I'd love to take in to a shop and get it looked at but there's a lack of funds. Oh and I had the wife watch the cams as I drew and the hit at the same time coming to full draw.

8. z7x

z7x Newb

Dislikes Received:
    The past few days i had the same problem but had a simple fix. For some reason with broadheads i was tilting the bow slightly off balance, why i dont know but i started checking my level before i shot & my problem was gone. Grouping at 40 yds same as my fps.

9. CJKOLCUN

CJKOLCUN Newb

Dislikes Received:
    +2 on checking the level, I did the same thing.

10. slowpoke69

Dislikes Received:
    Well I switched to 2018 arrows, 100 gr BH, @ 30 in. Got it to paper tune really close. At 15 yards the BH and FP are really close. The further back I go the further apart they get. At this point I just need practice. I have started looking at my bubble and its helping, but I think I need a peep sight. I have to look around the string to get the bubble to level out (not helping accuracy).

11. z7x

z7x Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Glad the bubble tip helped out some & i shoot with a peep sight & it does keep me from having to look around the string to check it.
    Could be the next step toward solving your problem compeltely.

12. 2lunger

2lunger Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Did you micro-tune your rest when you did the walk back tune? Usually small, like 1/32" adjustments, make a world of difference at 40 yards and should get bhs and fp grouping together.

13. wolbear

wolbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    First off, what is your draw length. You keep making your arrows longer and they should be cut to be no more than 1" in front of the arrow rest. I don't believe your tuning issue with BH's to be spine or poundage, but rather rest adjustment. BH tuning is different than paper and walk back tuning. Once paper and walkback are completed, then do BH tuning. Make micro adjustments to your rest to get BH's and field tips to group better, but remember this golden fact: There is no rule that says BH's and field tips will "ALWAYS" hit the same spot. There are too many factors in the design of BH's and the aerodynamics of their flight.