Tuning Geeks

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by stuntriders, Oct 7, 2010.

1. stuntriders

stuntriders Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Alright, since I am officially hooked on bow hunting and I don't normally do things half@$ed. I am going to be spending the next nine months tuning, practicing, and generally becoming more knowledgable about archery in general and of course archery hunting.

That being said I am guessing that someone already has an excel doc or word doc for documenting their practice sessions. So with out reinventing the wheel, would you be willing to share?

I guess I am thinking it would need to include things like bow setup (weight, dl, etc.), arrow setup (length, spine, fletching, etc.) etc. etc. etc.

Also any tips you guys have would be great. I would rather avoid any bad habits to begin with.

Thanks!

2. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Well, I don't use a "log" or any document. I shoot nearly everyday, I have good and BAD days. If I'm having a BAD day, I put the bow away and do something else. I think understanding arrow ballistics is one of the more important things that many guys NEVER get. Do yourself a favor and got to http://pinwheelsoftware.com/ and download the FREE version of OnTarget2, and toy with it, get an idea of how arrow hit at various distances, it will open your eyes to arrow drop, especially out past 40-50yds. The program while not perfect is VERY GOOD, and can open your eyes to spine selection, arrow ballistics, etc.

As for tuning, I think the very best tuning method you'll find once you have the RIGHT arrow and tips set-up is probably a good BH tune. Here's another GREAT link on BH tuning ...... http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=539460

From there, just shoot and enjoy it. Practice form, have a shot sequence in your head and follow it, and enjoy the new found love.... :tu:

3. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I will 2nd the recommendation of OnTarget2

4. stuntriders

stuntriders Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks OH, I will be looking into that software soon! I also appreciate the link. I have been going through the easton tuning guide and I am going to start with bare shaft, then paper tune and then broad head tuning.