Tuned and sighted BH’s...ready!

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Mod-it, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    *Note* Why I put this here instead of in the big game thread I don’t know, but I didn’t think about it until I’d already written most of it. I used my phone and didn’t trust copy and pasting it to try to relocate it.

I had a new string put on this year (Catfish) and did some BS tuning after that (my first time, always just paper tuned) but it’s been several months. I did end up needing to tweak the rest a bit when I first did the BS tuning after it had been paper tuned.
    Today I pulled the HHA single pin off and put on my Cobra fixed pin, set up some BH arrows and headed to the range. I was hoping my tune was still good.
    I started off by dialing in BH’s to 20. Then I dialed in 30 and decided to shoot a FP too. I actually hit the tiny piece of pink tape I was using as an aiming point with the BH, you can see it right under the lower arrow, so without the reference I just tried to aim the FP arrow at the nock of the BH arrow. The angle was a bit different because I walked to the bench for a drink of water and then took the FP shot from a spot a bit to the right of the first shot, should’ve paid closer attention to that. B1E5A248-EEB7-4E4F-BC4C-528EFA71921C.jpeg

9F568652-E9AC-4A38-9AF9-40306DF59E4C.jpeg
    This was the first try. Good enough, no reason to try to ruin a nock, or worse, two arrows.
    This last pic is of the pink piece of tape I hit with the BH arrow.
    4AF032FA-915C-47DD-A3E1-47626A6D1197.jpeg

I finished sighting in BH’s out to 60 but haven’t ever had a shot opportunity beyond 38 to this point in my years of elk hunting.
    Now I feel the bow is ready and am hoping there’s a love sick bull willing to cooperate this year.
    I’m impressed with BS tuning to really dial in the tune on a bow, I had to move my QAD rest to the left a whole hash mark after it had been paper tuned.
    Good luck to everyone headed to the elk woods this year.

cantexian likes this.
  2. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    one thing about bare shaft tuning, it will show flaws in grip, form and the actual tune .. I used to do a walk back/french tune then BH tune .. it was time consuming, now I'll do a bare shaft paper tune indoors after the basic set up as a start (3/5 and 10 yds)... then go out side on a CALM day and shoot fletched and a bare shaft at 20 yds... from there I'll try a FP and a BH, usually they are spot on, if not, I'll make the very minor adjustments with the rest ... I do wrap a small bit of gorilla tape around the rear of the bare shaft to equal my vane weight ... if one has to shim cams, it should be done prior to shooting BH's .. remember a bare shaft will equal what a BH tipped fletched arrow will do.. if a bare shaft is tail left/impact left of FP, the BH will also impact the same .... yep, you should be set to go ... GOOD LUCK, send us the pictures of the bull !!

slickbilly-d likes this.
  3. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yep,,you ready for sure!

4. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sweet! I think you are ready!

5. Branden

Branden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: