Tubeless Peep?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Copehunt, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Does switching to a tubless peep add speed? If so, is there a rule of thumb on how much speed you can gain on average?

Also, regarding peep size; is it a personal preference thing or can the diameter actually help you focus better? For example, if you're a bit fuzzy out to distance is it easier to focus with a larger peep.

Tried the search field for the first question and didn't find anything regarding speed. Sorry if this is one of those repeat inquiries.

Thanks!

2. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Going to a tubeless peep won't help with speed. It will however keep you from issues you could have in the field. I know of so may people that have broken the tube on the way to the sstand in the dark and didn't even realize it. They are so easy to snag on bushes walking through the woods. They also add tention to your string so whenever it breaks if you have to cut any tube off at all it will change your setup. The peep won't help with your vision issue. You might want to look into a verifier peep. It is available in 6(I believe) options and is a small magnifying glass inside the peep to help see clearer. I will be putting one on my bow in a few weeks. As for size I am really not sure the rule to go by and couldn't even tell you what size I have on my bow.

3. Marauder

Marauder Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I personally like the tube when it comes to peep. I didn't notice any difference (speed wise), with or without it. The bow shop suggested that I get it, which I was skeptical at first. Then I shot with it and haven't had any problems since. As for preference of size, IMHO it depends what you are doing in the field of archery. Say are you only bowhunting or are you shooting archery in a league? I would recommend that you also talk to a pro shop and ask them questions. At first I didn't like the guys I talked to but after a few visits I opened up and they were so much more helpful. Hope that helps.

4. GDLT31

GDLT31 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use a G5 peep on all my bows no hassle of something catching the rubber band,and when that was the thing I have had the band come lose,break and I always worried is that rubber band going to pop me in the eye.No worries with my G5 peeps.

5. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    One of my bows is tubeless the other tubed. Jfergus is correct above, especially on account of stuff happens-I carry extra tubing in my bow case for such a field repair. The tube just steers the peep, but if your string doesn't twist much, is setup right and/or you use a Dloop, the 'need' for the tube is negated.

Aperture size of the peep most comes into play with light and to a lessor degree precision. When its dusk/dawn or other low light, your eyes dilate which makes very small peeps very difficult to focus on both pin and target. The precision comes into play with the blocking out of peripheral sight, framing of the sight housing and centering of the pin.

I use my tubed small peeped (1/16" or 3/32") bow mainly for target shooting and morning-afternoon hunts, the tubeless and bigger peep (~1/4") for afternoon and evening hunts.

IMO-Placement and KE matter 100x more than speed anyway.

6. InnerX CBS

InnerX CBS Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    As far as the speed thing goes, it depends on the peep and the size but you can see gains anywhere from 1-12. usually 3-5 is average. only a few time have I seen over a 5-6 speed difference.

As far as the size issue, the bigger it is the easier it will be to see, BUT it wont be as forgiving, if you have one that is the same size as your sight housing that is ideal.

7. Copehunt

Copehunt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks. Speed isn't my reason for changing, just something I heard and was trying to confirm. Someone told me that by removing the tube, you could gain 10. On the peep dia, just trying to find a way to help me focus better.