Trying to Increase Draw Weight

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by bowhunter96, Nov 7, 2013.

1. bowhunter96

bowhunter96 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys, in need of a pro tip. I've been shooting at about 50lbs right now. but i would like to be able to draw at 60lbs soon. Do any of you have certain workouts that build specific muscle growth? or is it all about getting out to shoot regularly?

2. Treestandsniper

Treestandsniper Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    An across the chest in an X pattern on a cable pull machine would definitely do the trick. Dumbbell and or barbell rows would also work. Body weight declined rows will work as well. If you don't have the required equipment, you can make a decent suspension trainer for body weight rows, using some rope and PVC pipe for handles. Also see YouTube for homemade clubbells and an exercise called "clubbell mills"

3. maxpetros

maxpetros Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I just increased my poundage 1 pound a week at a time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. Sticknstringarchery

Sticknstringarchery Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Cameron Haynes just put out a video on this. Look Him up on YouTube.

I started doing a weight lift that has really helped. I didn't want to increase draw weight though. My goal was to gain strength to draw a 60lb much more smoothly and effortlessly. I figured if I could draw slower if needed, or let down easily. The other advantage is I can hold longer and steadier which helps in hunting and 3D.

Ill have my wife take a pic of it tomorrow. I set the pulley on the cable machine at shoulder height. Set my weight (currently 75lb), place my hand just below the pulley (be careful not to put it where it will get injured) and draw using only your draw arm. Pull through to the anchor stop and then squeeze your lats. I've been doing this once a week starting at 60lb and working my way up. It has seemed to work.

5. bowhunter96

bowhunter96 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    thanks! that sounds like a great training exercise. looking forward to a picture!

6. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry for the delay. My wife took the pics an I forgot to have her send them to me. Here they are. Since starting this work out, I am drawing 60lb smooth as silk an with the least amount of effort I ever have.
    Well, must have deleted the front pic. You get the idea though.
    [​IMG]

7. horus11b

horus11b Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you want to shoot 60 pounds smooth as silk, crank you bow up to 70 and shoot it for a couple of weeks.... when you drop down it'll be no problem. You can also do timed holds on your bow. Set a timer on your phone, then hold for 3 minutes before you release the shot. Do this pretty consistantly and you'll greatly increase all those stabilizer muscles.

8. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    Cranking the bow to 70lb only works if you have a 70lb bow.
    This can cause bad habits and bad muscle memory though I done to much without building up to it. If you are going to do this, do it just a couple times each session then build up.

9. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I grew up running bulldozers and scrapers and working on them...I think running a dozer and working the blade controls conditioned me over the years so I can draw into the upper 70's okay and have drawn 70 for years. That's not very easily replicatable though, lol.

I've seen a lot of different things put together over the years that people used though. Seen a lot of sticks with bungee chords and would think that would be the cheapest and easiest without putting a lot of wear on the actual hunting bow. I think you really want a general full body conditioning system though, that would probably be the best. Cam Hanes is a good stereotype, the guy is a beast.

Just trying to pull a lot of weight from a bow isn't a great idea, good way to tear up your shoulder. You need something tha tbiulds you up overall and in full range of motion through a lot of reps...my opinion.

10. Afflicted

Afflicted Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    onehundredpushup.com

Push up work wonders for me.

11. BRVRY

BRVRY Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Bent over rows and I moved up from 50-ish to about 60-ish in only a week or 2. 45 pound plate and do 20 reps for 5 sets with some kind of push-up exercise between sets.

12. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Or if you can handle it in the first place.

This is a good way to cause injury and I don't reccomend it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

13. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  14. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just don't get caught up on the poundage. It isn't necessary to kill deer. Make sure you keep the weight easy to draw and hold while maintaining good form and drawing techniques.

Heavy draw weight is only good if you can handle it EASILY.

Ask any oldtimer in this sport and just about all of them will warn you about shoulder injuries.

I kill the heck out of deer at 57# and mostly passthroughs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

15. Sticknstringarchery

Dislikes Received:
    I'm currently sitting at 58lb and the only time I've had an issue is on the one deer I put the arrow in a bad spot. It wouldn't have mattered the poundage.

Shot placement and proper arrow set up is key. If your shooting a large cut mechanical with a low poundage bow and light arrow, it probably going to end badly.

16. CoveyMaster

CoveyMaster Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also for consideration, a high poundage bow can make for a more forgiving situation with shot placement but a less forgiving bow to start with. Everything boils down to shot placement anyway...as with most things in life, a well rounded approach is best such as high a poundage bow as possible but comfortable enough to ensure reliably good shot placement. Either of those without the benefit of the other is really not going to get the job done.

17. Jacob1

Jacob1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've got a buddy that kills elk every year and his draw weight is 50 pounds.

18. Jimmany

Jimmany Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a friend that killed his first deer with a 30 pound walmart bow.

19. Great White

Great White Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Similar, I increase it about 1-2 pounds every 2-4 weeks, depending on how I feel, and how keen I am to re-sight my bow all over again.