Truck owners and brand loyalty.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by MGH_PA, May 18, 2015.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I've always owned Fords (2 Broncos and 4 F150s in total) and thankfully have yet to have any major issues with any of them. Before I bought my current truck I test drove a couple Rams and just didn't like the overall feel of the cabin and the way they drove. For the same price I could've got a little more interior "cush" with the Ram but something didn't sit right with me so I stuck with the Ford. 3 years and 55,000 miles later and I'm happy as a clam.

2. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So, you base your opinion of today's Ford pickups on the ride of a truck that was made 13 years ago? You might want to try sitting in something a little newer before you totally dismiss any brand. My 2012 F150 rides much nicer than my '05 Chevy did. But, when the new models come out, you never know. My Bronco II rode like a hay wagon, but that didn't stop me from trying a Ford 20 years later. I also hate the fact that GM was quick to grab bail-out money, or the fact that they even needed to. My wife drives a GMC Denali Acadia, but is soon to trade for a new Lincoln Navigator.

3. copperhead

copperhead Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Oh yeah I forgot I do have a 96 Bronco. Kinda silly to forget that. It has a slight oil leak but was the best purchase I ever made for $500.00 and it still runs. The kids drive it mostly.

4. TEmbry

TEmbry Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Side Tangent regarding the Tacoma Rusty Frame Issue... Is there a set year range this pertains to? I never received a letter about it but can't find a clear cut answer online. I'm sure mine is new enough to not even show it yet anyway I was just wondering if it's something I should coat as a preemptive strike or keep an eye on later?

5. Matt

Matt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Never said that, just stating that particular one rode awful. I've ridden in the newer ones, just saying if I went right now I'd go to a Chevy dealership first....because I like the looks more. Again IMO

6. TwoBucks

TwoBucks Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I don't know why this is a discussion. Everyone knows ford is the best and those who don't think so are wrong. :rock:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Dogfish

Dogfish Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love my '14 taco

8. TJF

TJF Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not a fan of dodge and just never liked the feel of sitting in a chevy. I have always been happy with Ford trucks.

l really like our two Ford Escapes. The wife loves the two Escapes. She drives 75 miles a day for work on a crappy gravel road and pavement that is not maintained very well in the winter ( county roads ). Both Escapes have been great winter and all around vehicles for us.

I did own a 1976 Jeep truck for a little while. I really liked it but it was a pig on gas so I dumped it. Fun to drive around the country side !!!!!!!

Tim

9. 130Woodman

130Woodman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have owned a lot of trucks. I buy the trucks for work and for my personal vehicle I have owned every kind of truck except the Toyota. My last 4 have been Chevy and I'm due to get a new one soon, but with the Chevy issues lately I might take a look at the ford this time. I have road in a few of them in the last year and seem to be a better truck then the one I had years ago but I'm so used to the ride in my Chevy it's going to be hard to switch.

10. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    All of them change over the years....some for the better some for the good...and then years later back to the opposite. This could be subtle minor things or major things (like dodge's transmission issues of the past).

I for one feel anyone who blankly writes off a make is showing their naivety. Only thing I get is some who will only buy American. I get that.

11. jrk_indle84

jrk_indle84 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Personally I've owned each of the big three and have had decent luck. As far as work trucks go, which they get worked pretty hard I'd stick with GM. They've held up the best out of any out 2 dodges and a Ford. So if I had to go and buy one right now it'd be a GM because of the current track record of having little to no issues and can get good service with GM compared to the other two where I live.

Every brand has lemons so really it's mostly personal preference. The boss I have now just got a newer dodge, 2013, and so far it's been a good truck but it has less than 50,000 miles on it too so the jury is still out.

12. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    As of 2014, here are the standings of the most "American" made trucks.

Tied for first place: Ford, Honda Ridgeline, Toyota Tundra

4th - Dodge Ram
    5th - Toyota Tacoma
    6th - Nissan Titan
    7th - Chevy Silverado
    8th - GMC Sierra

I guess this pretty much wipes out the notion that Chevy is as American as apple pie. I was shocked to find it honestly. But, it definitely will play a major part in my future decisions on vehicle purchase. Even Nissan is ranked higher than Chevy! I feel better about my Ford purchase all the time.

13. Tarheel17

Tarheel17 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For me its all fun and games. I am a loyal chevy owner and give all my buddies a hardtime for driving anything different as they do to me. I really dont dismiss other brands as grabage and just favor mine becuase its what I own. If I was raised on fords Im sure Id trash talk chevy. Whatever it is you drive you should talk like its the best thing ever to build confidence, jsut like in you bow rig.

14. Mckaax

Mckaax Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  15. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    One thing that does irk me with Toyota that has me leaning a bit away from them is the rust issues. Both my 96 and now my 05 have pretty bad rust on the frames and I wash a lot in the winter to keep salt off. There's now another recall for the second gen Tacomas (05+) just like there was for the 1st gen. To me, that puts me off a bit.

Just something fresh in my mind since I stumbled upon more threads on another forum regarding the recall.

16. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Dodge went from a decade of terrible transmissions to trucks that rust out in 3 years. That's why I doubt I would ever buy one. My truck is an 08 Silverado with next to no rust at all. I did however have some issues with it burning oil, but they rebuilt it and fixed the problem. It's running great now.

17. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah my 05' Ford is still rust free and running great :) Granted it is a sissy 2WD though haha!

18. fletch920

Dislikes Received:
    My secretary's Dodge cab corners were GONE in 5 years time. Also rust over wheel wells and on rocker panels. And she kept that truck spotless. Horrible problem with Dodge in my opinion. But, the tranny on this one has lasted a LOT longer than on any of her other Dodge's. I think she is finally done with Dodge. She gave them multiple chances and all of them let her down.

19. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Very well put!!

20. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They make a good looking truck, seems to be all they have going for them.