Tropical vacation destinations?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Brandon8807, Jan 26, 2014.

1. Brandon8807

Brandon8807 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Okay, so I'm getting a little ahead of myself, but my fiance and I are getting married in May of 2015 and I'm already kind of trying to look around and get an idea of places to go for the honeymoon so that I can get a general idea of what it will cost. Do any of you well traveled guys have any recommendations of specific places or general destinations? I already know that we'll want to do an all inclusive deal and I'm pretty intrigued about the idea of a swim up bar haha. We also are very focused on it being an adult only resort as we want it to be relaxing without kids running around. Any input about best times to book as far as prices for flights/condos are welcome as well along with any of the resources you used when you planned your vacation. I've never really planned a vacation so this is all new to me.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had the same question before I got married... Another member on here by the name of Finch, suggested Jamaica - Sandals Montego Bay to be exact...

Best trip I've ever taken... they treat you like royalty, and it's one of the more affordable All inclusive resorts. I think we came in right under $3500 for EVERYTHING.

I would definitely look into Sandals at various different places that interest you.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And yes, I was rockin' my BH.com hat in Jamaica
    [​IMG]

3. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Can I talk you out of the all inclusive? :lol:

4. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Jamaica is not a place you want to go outside of a resort.

We did a port stop there and went to dunns river falls which is a great place but that is a poor country and full of thieves and undesirables. I was glad to be back on the ship before dark.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

5. Brandon8807

Dislikes Received:
    What don't you like about all inclusive Hook?

6. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Dominican had the nicest resort, the Bahamas had the nicest beaches and we've been there twice. I haven't been to Jamaica, but I've heard it's nice. Grand Turk has amazing beaches as well. Island feels safe as well.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4.

7. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    This is true... we were in a protected resort... We took an "excursion" to where we did the cliff jumping(can't remember the name)... Man, the trip in between was a experience in itself.

8. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    If I'm going out of the country, I'd rather stay somewhere and experience the actual culture and food, not something designed specifically for tourists. I don't like just sitting on the beach and being catered too either, so that is another reason why all inclusives do not appeal to me.

But not all all inclusive are created equal, there are some really nice ones. I guess for a honeymoon where you just want to hang out, relax, and be waited on, they aren't so bad.

Just not my thing. I'd rather find a badass beach house in Costa Rica or Belize and explore for a week.

9. tfox

tfox Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We took a bus to the falls and the scenery was something else. Saw people sleeping/passed out on the edge of the highway. I bet it is a beautiful country up in the hills but dangerous.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

10. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've done Hawaii, Dominican Republic, Grand Cayman, and the Bahamas. I liked Grand Cayman best and would absolutely go back. The resort in the Dominican was fantastic, probably the best I've been to, but it was pretty scary outside the resort. I liked the Bahamas the least just because it was cold and windy, the locals said it was pretty typical for March. We are going to Aruba this March so really looking forward to that.

11. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Friends of ours loved Aruba.

We can't decide where to go this year, either.

12. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Wow, just priced the Grand Cayman. Resorts look awesome, but pricey.

13. MN_Jay

MN_Jay Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've been to Mexico several times on all inclusives, this year we are somewhat try something not so touristy and go non-AI on a little island off of cancun called Isla Mujeres. I'm pretty excited to get away from the -27 we are supposed to wake up to tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. WISCOZ7

WISCOZ7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    We took our honeymoon at Sandals Montego Bay also. Absolutely awesome trip/resort and would do it again in a heartbeat. Top notch food, service, and friendly people. There is always something to do and you can set up stuff to do outside the resort as well. God, just thinking of the place makes me want to go back now!!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

15. Bowfly

Bowfly Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Tropical North Queensland Australia. I may be a bit bias but we have it all here. So many resorts its not funny, the Great Barrier reef, Tropical rain forests , Fantastic fishing and awesome hunting.

Rod

16. dmen

dmen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    My wife wants to do an Australian vacation, but that would be a once in a lifetime trip when we do go. The Dominican has been the best bang for the buck I have found. We went twice in late Septembr early October and it priced around 2k all inclusive. That is with airfare from Maine.

17. Brandon8807

Dislikes Received:
    Did any of you guys use a travel agent or did you use the likes of travelocity/priceline? Is travelers insurance something I should look into or is it a waste of money?

18. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:

We've used both Expedia and Bookit. Our AAA agent did setup our cruise last year, but that was so we could expedite the boarding procedure.

We've done the insurance twice (cruise and Dominican). I think it's worth it for the piece of mind in the event that a weather or life issue would happen to pop up.

19. Hooker

Hooker Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've never used a travel agent, but if you do not feel like doing the research yourself, a travel agent would be helpful. Plus they can sometimes get you better deals if they have contracts with certain resorts.

I think researching for a vacation is half the fun.

20. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Agree.