Triax shooters...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Vabowman, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I really want to shoot one badly. Problem is, we don't have an archery shop worth a darn within 50 mile radius...I have two Mathews dealers one 20 mins the other 30 mins...neither have a triax to shoot!! WTH? they didn't even stock up on new bows prior to the season... Im short. 5'6. I like the idea of the short ATA. I never owned a Mathews. They all seemed to be very top heavy when I held them.. So until I can shoot one, I would like to hear your thoughts on them...Plus, draw length question.. For Bowtech bows I always shot 26.5. For Elite it's been 27"...how are the draw lengths running with Mathews? long? short? just right? I want a 60# bow. I hear that the triax is dead quiet and is smooth ...

2. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Talked to mathews today, they will not make the triax in 2020

3. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I haven't shot any of Matthews new Dual-cam bows but the wife let me upgrade this year so I went easy and purchased a Mathews Creed--2014 model. I'm also a short shooter. I'm 5'6 and shoot 26.5 DL. Ordered this bow online and was leary as to whether it would fit me or not and man was I impressed!! This thing feels so good in hand and I like the fact that its a little top heavy and wants to fall forward after the shot. I shot a buddy's new Vertix and I did not like how it felt at all.

camo75 likes this.
  4. INbowhunter

INbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also I might add, check out the Mathews Tx5. Wish I would have found it prior to purchasing my Creed. It was built for the shorter shooter and is a FAST bow for short DL. 5" brace height pushes alot of guys away but from what I've seen its a smooth, fast bow.

5. Mr.O

Mr.O Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Triax is by far the quietest and smoothest bow I've ever shot...truly "dead in the hand". It is a little on the heavy side for that short of an ATA, but feels good and well-balanced. Only complaint I have is with the grip.

6. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I think the new models are coming Nov 15...I won't buy anything until after Jan so I am in n rush..We will see what they come out with...I wish Mathews were a touch lighter though..

7. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Something to keep in mind - the reason these bows are so "dead in the hand" is, in part, due to their mass weight. A heavy bow is naturally quieter and has less shock than a lighter bow. So it's a balancing act between building a bow that's really enjoyable to shoot and feels great, and one that's very light. Also, keep in mind we're talking ounces of difference when you compare most of today's flagship bows from the top companies. It's hardly worth worrying about. IMO, mass weight of a bow is one of those "tag specs" that people pick at, but really has zero bearing on how well a bow shoots or someone's ultimate decision on what they want to buy. Especially with everyone all jacked up on Mtn. Ops and packing 100 lbs of gear into public land 10 miles back to beat the crowds. Engage your beast mode and offset the weight by leaving the Pop Tarts in the truck.

With all that said, I loved my Triax and killed a good number of animals with it. However, I do like my Vertix juuuuuuuust a little bit more. Primarily due to the grip redesign and the side plate option. I would imagine Mathews carries that option into the 2020 bows as well. Personally speaking, I would be looking at the new 2020 offerings, or to pick up a used Vertix when the new ones come out. I really do think the Engage grip makes a difference in how the bow feels. And it's only 2" longer axle-to-axle, so it's still plenty compact for your needs.

Mr.O and Vabowman like this.
  8. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    Well I do love my Elite Impulse 31. But to be honest, I am not sure what Elite is doing right now.. all the shops around here dropped them and getting anything for them will be a pain. Most shops don't even want to mention the name anymore.. None of them even got the 2019 bows in last year. So with that said, I look to a very reputable company such as Mathews. They been around a long time and will be around a lot longer. Plus, I have always wanted a Mathews bow. I think with the Triax being discontinued I will give the 2019/2020 vertix a hard look. 30" ATA is perfect. speed is perfect, I hope it's a smooth draw and I know that people rave about the quietness of them..Weight really isn't that big of a deal.. I tree stand hunt 98% of the time and all I hunt is whitetails.. so no major hikes for me.. Thanks Justin for your feed back.

9. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    So I went to the shop today to get a few things ironed out with my rest and my son's rest. they had a 2019 Vertix 28" and 60#. So I shot it. Even though I am a 27" draw. The bow is quiet. dead in the hand. draw was a bit stiff but no more than my elite 31 impulse.. I need to shoot a 26.5 and 27" mod to get the full effect. They also had the Elite ritual 30 there but I didn't shoot it.. I was not blown away with the vertix but it does feel good so far as I can tell