Treestand suggestion for those in the market, Ol'man, one of the best.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rob / PA, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

I totally agree.

2. Txjourneyman

Txjourneyman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have a Gorilla that looks very similar. same net seat and strap for the front of the tree. It has become my "go to" stand. I'll look into ol man for my next stand purchase due to the light weight.

3. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using Ol' Man for at least ten years. I have one of the smaller "air elite" models or something along those lines. Its an awesome stand. It rarely gets used any longer b/c I can't shoot my longbow from an enclosed top section. But I have to agree with Rob, you owe it to yourself to look into Ol' Man treestands.

4. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya DC. Didn't the Ol'man line come in a carbon model? If that was the case, they must have discontinued that. Maybe I'm thinking of the aluminum.

5. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the one that DC and you are talking about. Some kind of weird carbon model. It's ridiculously light. I only think they made them a year or two way back when.

6. Hogwire

Hogwire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the revue, I might have to check in to one of them.

I can carry a heavy stand for miles but I definitely need a towel and change of clothes along with a shower when I get there! LOL!! I want the lightest I can get within reason. I bought an old Lone Wolf on Ebay and haven't used it yet. LW sent me instructions with it and they show making a sling to sit in to make a hand climber into a sit-n-climb, don't see why that couldn't be used in other stands. It was just a simple butt sling you hang off the end of your hand climber. I need to get out and practice, we don't have many trees here that I can use it on, I bought it for trips to the pineys in SE OK. It's the old model with the v-bar on back.
    Has anyone ever used a X-stand? They're even lighter than LW's. They've gotten kinda pricey though and they are small, would take some gettin used to. lp

7. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Hogwire, the Pro series standard climber is 17.7 lbs with a large platform and one of the most comfortable net/sling seats I've ever seen. If a guy is a little bigger he'd want to step up to the Grand which is still what, only 19 lbs. With it's ease of packing, climbing and quietest not to mention so comfortable, it's hard if in possible to beat. Good luck.

8. Double Creek

Double Creek Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Rob,

Yeah, they had this "carbon" model that I have. I think it weighs 17 lbs if I remember right. They also had the Titanium model, which is also very light. My bro-in-law has that one. Between me, my dad, and bro in law we have about 5 or 6 Ol' Man stands of various makes and models and they are all quality. They are hard to beat for comfort and packability.

9. Zdeerslayer

Zdeerslayer Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I really want to try a stand with the mesh seats, they look very comfortable. I'll have to look into the that stand this summer.

10. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya DC.

When I bought the first one for my exwife and then for myself this is what snow ball effect it had,

My mom bought one for my brother and her husband because they loved it.

My friend bought one and one for his father,

My coworker bought one for him, then is father bought one and his other brother bought one.

A local archery shop owner bought one after seeing mine as well as another shop shooter and the shooters father.

In all something like 10 more stands were purchased all cause they saw mine. LOL :cool:

11. Hogwire

Hogwire Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I sat on a "mesh seat" for about 4 hours Sat. morning. Didn't have to get up once to stretch my legs, was comfy all day. lp

12. BowTech_Shooter

BowTech_Shooter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've been using an Ol'man climber for about 10 years too. I also have one of their fixed position stands and I love both of them...I also have a Gorilla which is designed after the Ol'man and I like it just as much.

If I'm not mistaken Ol'man sold their patents to Gorilla then quit making stands for a year or two but I'm glad to see their back...

When I worked retail we sold around 150 or so Ol'man stands a year.

13. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I despise the idea of having those pins and clips to adjust the stand..... Having had stands with that feature and losing them on a few ocassions while cutting my bowhunting teeth, I vowed there had to be something better . Then about 8 years ago when I was shopping for a new climbing stand this was the main reason I chose the Summit over then big time stand manufacturer API.....

Now I am using the LW and not looking back :d

14. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Years ago Rob, I bought the Ol Man Grand. I simply hated it, probably should have ordered the regular Ol Man. Thats when I tried a Summit Cobra XLS and hated it as well. Like you I used a Loggy for years. Then I found the Lone Wolf and became in love. I have looked at the new Ol Man Pro stands..look nice. Actually I messed up for not buying one on Ebay. A dealer had 14 of the Ol Man Pro stands for $149.95 plus $20 shipping. They sold out before I could make up my mind.

15. Cougar Mag

Cougar Mag Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Jeff, I was wondering how you and the LW were getting along. I am just about to sell my LW Assault and buy another LW climber because I haven't put it up but once this season.........but I am keeping the LW sticks.

16. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    I can adjust mine after reaching my apex as well. I've done it plenty of times, both the seat and the platform.

It's aluminum, what differences could it possibly have over the steel?

Weight, the Pro is 17.7 lbs, isn't that lighter than the LW, and size?

And didn't I get castrated mentioning my Ol'man in a LW thread asking for opinions. I didn't ask for any LW opinions in this topic.

Ya just can't let it go can ya. All you needed was Scott to mention it for you to run with it.

17. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    :hater:

HiJackers!

Hey Kettle, your Black sincerely Pot.

18. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Oh, and I can adjust my platform and seat when I reach my Apex too.

I'll give you first hand knowledge of the Pro series as soon as I have it in my hands. I'll never have to look toward another climber again. If they made a better one, I'd own it, period.

Scott, what the hell were you doing? User problems...LOL I've had mine 10 years and have never lost a pin, they are attached. LOL :deer:

19. buckeye

buckeye Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Mine came unattached and being young and dumb lost them more times than I can recall..... I sat at the base of my tree more than once unable to climb :mad1: I told myself that will never happen again..... And it hasn't since.

20. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    So your annoyed, I see. :computer:

Anyway, Scott I can see that. My first climber was borrowed and homemade. I made one that mirrored that one with bolts and wingnuts. I know where your coming from. I was very happy to see the pins attached on the Ol'man. That was a blessing. It's simple for me, when I come off a tree and pack, I remove the pin from holding the cable and immediately put it an empty hole.

[​IMG]What we did is simple. We took the all-time most popular climbing stand that Ol' Man has ever sold, the Original Ol' Man, and shaved a few pounds off of it. It has all the features of the classic Ol' Man. It has spreader arms for extra room in the tree. It folds flat. It grips the tree just as well as all our stands. It's as quiet as can be. It's just missing a few things... namely, 5 pounds. By the way, we call it the New Aluminum Ol' Man PRO. You'll call it something like unbelievable or amazing

Hey J, if ya read this, think the site can become a dealer?