Treestand suggestion for those in the market, Ol'man, one of the best.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rob / PA, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Rob / PA

Rob / PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've been climbing trees for nearly 25 years with a variety of treestands from homemade and bare hugging trees to the one of the finest I feel is on the market.

When I first bought my first Ol'man I owned a Loggy Bayou. Although effective, it scared the bejezzus out of me on more than one occasion. When my ex wife wanted to get into hunting I used to hang a stand with screw ins for her and then go climb a tree with my Loggy. It was a pain in the ass so I searched for a suitable tree stand that she (4'11, 110lbs) could carry and use on her own. I first bought a Summit. Not only did it pack bad IMO, she couldn't use it in a tree. It was too cumbersome and when I tried it, I like it less than my Loggy. It was comfortable I'll give ya that but with the hanging seat, it put the bar too high and often inhibited shooting on close shots.

I then sold the Summit and bought an Ol'man for her. Not only did she use it with ease, I found it to be one of the easier most packable quiet tree stands I've ever used. When she didn't hunt, I left my Loggy at home and took her Ol'man. Soon, I bought a second Ol'man and put my Loggy away for use as a loc on only.

I've now used my Ol'man stand for nearly 10 years or more. Until I find a better treestand, I will continue to use it. I want the best and I don't hesitate to buy the best when I find it. For those in the market, don't miss out on the Ol'man before you buy more expensive ones.

Weight, the steel ones are not the lightest on the market. I don't find weight a factor, like I said, that little girl could carry and use it with ease BUT if you want light, it's hard to find a lighter one than the Ol'man Pro at 17lbs.

Climbing, I've found it to be one of the quietest. I've climbed down with deer in bow range using the tree as a hiding place. I never got to step off but I had to wait until they left on their own but at least I got down.

Packing, very flat and very comfortable on the back. I cannot tell you how many miles I've put in with the treestand on my back. I always add my backpack over the treestand and it's been a fine combination for so many years.

Security, I've hunted off of power poles because it was perfect in the right spot with no climbable trees. Stupid but it worked, I spotted a dandy buck but I stood out like a sore thumb....lol MY point is, a slick power pole and the treestand never missed a beat. I've experimented with the stand at ground level, you cannot get it to kick out or slip. It's secure and once stationed it has straps that hook around the front of the tree that secure it even more. It's in place and motionless. I've taken hours of countless naps in this stand without fear. In fact, naps are what I look forward to in my Ol'man stand.

One added feature I love is the comfortable net seat, I've had dark to dark sits in this stand with maximum comfort. You can also sit facing away from the tree or facing toward the tree. It's versatile that way by just sliding the net seat. The net also is bar level so the bar is not too high for shooting. I often use the bar to rest my legs against while shooting around trees etc.. That's a plus in my book plus adding security.

The bars around the tree also seem to hug you keeping the warmth in in extreme cold weather.

Price: Unmatched, the steel can be bought under $200 and the aluminum for slightly more. There are several options for feet support and rifle rests.

Just a suggestion if your in the market. You may pay too much for some overpriced stands if you look past this one. I feel it's unmatched for all around price, comfort, packing and quietness.

[​IMG]

:cool:

2. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    PS, I have absolutely NO affiliation with Ol'man stands.

3. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    You can also find Lone Wolf Stands at this very site.
    http://www.bowhunting.com/shopping/Departments/Treestands-and-Climbing-Sticks.aspx

4. rybo

rybo Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think Rob has talked me into overlooking my minor issues with my current ol man stand and giving a SERIOUS look at a new ol man pro series, the light weight means a ton to me.

5. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Perhaps Tony, they can become a dealer for Ol'man as well. Give us the best quality for the $. Yo J, TG.

6. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am really happy that this site carries LW. Especially since I have already purchased one from them. But I would like to see a few more manufacturer choices in some of the catagories. Ol'man would be a great choice!

7. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Hey I aint that old yet, oh the stand.:d Alright Yo J, TG?

8. Aaron

Aaron Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    That netted seat sure looks confortable.... I gotta take a pic sometime of my stand... you guys would probably feel so sorry for me, you would all chip in and buy me a new one.LOL

She still climbs a tree, though.:deer:

9. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Very, very comfortable. The feature I like as well is you can move it to face away from the tree or facing the tree. Great feature and I've used it often. That's the way you sit and climb, I hate/loath hand climbers.

10. peakrut

peakrut Facebook Admin

Dislikes Received:
    Is that what mine is called a loath hand climber?

thx

11. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    Rob, if the one i sold on E-bay a couple years back had the curved bars on the seat section, i would most likey still have it. Mine was steel and if it had been aluminum id most likely have again. I loved the stand because of everything you mentioned. Tuco made me a deal on the Summit i could not turn down. i should have kept the oleman to :confused: Oh i liked the ole man bow holder to. I agree its a great stand for the money

12. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    LOL No Tony, loath is another word for hate/dislike. :d

13. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I love my hand climber. Why do you hate them Rob?

BTW, it's 'loathe'. heh heh

14. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    I just noticed something different than mine had on yours. My cables used to enter inside of the front tube of the stand where yours is tied into gussets with eyelets on the tubes. I can see that being much better. Didnt ole man also have a add on to the uprights to kick them farther out from the tree??

15. jfergus7

jfergus7 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am curious to compare my Gorilla to the picture above. They look very simular. Mine has square tubing but other then that I don't see any differences that I can think of.

16. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Simply, excursion. It's much, much easier to sit and climb, it puts you farther from the tree and requires much less effort therefore, less sweat and aggravation. If you've never used a sit and climb, try one Christine, it's so nice. :d

Oh and both spellings are correct, thus why the spell checker didn't check it. :d

17. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    Brother, that's the picture from their website. Mine is 10 years old and is like yours.

I'm going to order a new and improved one in aluminum just for the weight. They look to be built heavier too. I know mine is 22 lbs but they list the steel as 28 lbs. I'm ordering a 17.5 lb not that it matters cause hell, with the camera arm, camera and everything else I carry I add 25 lbs to it. I just man up and do it. :deer:

:cool:

18. Christine

Christine Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I used to have an API grandsomething or other. It was a sit and climb. It was a pain to climb with unless I just used it like a hand climber. (sitting I could only go up a couple inches at a time)

I hated that bar out front too. With my Open shot, I just turn the seat off to the side when I'm up in the tree and set my stuff on seat. (I'm weird that way.)

Loath is when you don't want to do something. Loathe is when you hate something. ;) :evil:

19. Rob / PA

Dislikes Received:
    LOL, then I don't want to climb with a hand climber, loath it. :d :evil: That's probably wrong too. :deer:

:busted:

20. OKbowhunter

OKbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have an Ol' Man ladder stand. The nets seats are unmatched for comfort.

I love sitting in that stand:d