treestand law in PA

Discussion in 'Northeast' started by tc racing, Apr 25, 2015.

1. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    what do you guys think about the new treestand tagging laws on the gamelands? with all the identity theft crap I can't believe they want all our info on the stand. name, address, phone number, & hunting license number. if I have someone come through that might not like me and he sees my name on my stand guess what, he will probably be screwing with my stand or messing up my spot. oh, and lets not forget we now have to use one of six different approved locking devices on their list to secure our stand if we leave it in overnight . I use python cables and I am not about to go out and buy all new locking devices. more freaking rules that make no difference to anything. once again big brother sticking their nose where it doesn't belong!!! it is getting to the point that PA game commission is going to have to offer classes to hunters to keep up on all the rules, seasons, orange requirements per season, etc.

ok, I'm done now!!! I feel better!! LOL

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  2. gltomp

gltomp Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    WHEW...
    How about just writing your info on a sheet of paper and sliding it in the tubing of the stand... would that be acceptable to the PA DEC? That way it's marked, but not noticeable to anyone it is yours.

I use to hunt PA for years (haven't in about 20) and have been stopped by LEO's ... never had an issue - but then again that was WAY back in the '60's. I never did figure out why we had to fill out a Roster annually and post it on the cabin door during hunting season... do they still require that?

3. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! This makes no sense to me at all. I understand locking things up, but personal info can easily be removed by a thief. They want that info so if they confiscate it, they can fine you and tell you they have it.

4. tc racing

tc racing Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    not sure about the roster on the cabin door but I wouldn't doubt it. on treestands, I would have to check to be for sure but I believe your info has to be visible. the way I'm going to play this is, screw them!!! if I get a ticket so what it will be cheaper to pay a ticket then to have someone steal my identity or my treestand. I'm not going to mark my stand. that is just a**nine to put that kind of info out there. I will just get better at hiding my stands. my question to the commission is : do I have to label each of my climbing sticks as well since they aren't attached to the treestand? I guarantee you they never thought of that one! the only other thing is to take it in and out each time but that kind of commotion in the woods will spook deer like crazy especially the big ones. I know when we hunt Kansas we were told we had to have our name only on our stands but not all the other stuff. I think PA is just driving people to quit hunting with all the red tape just to be able to hunt. all you out of state guys want a laugh just go online and read the PA hunting regs. especially the orange requirements. all the season overlaps it gets very confusing what and when for what season and how much for each season to wear. you have to be a rocket scientist to keep up with it. can you believe that in spring turkey you don't have to wear orange but in the fall you have to wear 250 sq in? I can go on all day with crazy rules we have. I'm only a couple hours from ohio I should try to go there more often!! LOL

5. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think you miss read some bro! just put you're c.i.d number on the stand and where did you read about using 1 of 6 types of locking devices ? (page number plz)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  6. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    hunting party's NO MORE THAN 25 POEPLE PRE GROUP.

7. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    i only see that in the furaking section= trapping

8. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You only need a CID number or your name and address. You can also get a "special" number from the game commission that will replace the two previous options. KGTech was right with the cable restraints being in the furtaking section.

9. kgtech

kgtech Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I tried looking for that "special" number? I can't find it any where on that website.

10. POWERHAWK_11

POWERHAWK_11 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    It might be in the shopping store where you can buy your license and other permits online.